Connection Speed in windows 2000

Thread: Connection Speed in windows 2000

Post Connection Speed in windows 2000

Whenever I place my cursor over the 2 computers near the clock {while in windows 2000}, it reflects a connection speed of 31.2 Kbps. But, if I immediatley reboot to Windows 98 and check the speed it shows 49.6 Kbps. As a matter of fact, I almost always connect at this speed in 98 and I ALWAYS show a speed of 31.2 Kbps in 2000. Is this a setting that needs correcting or a true measurement?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    “If nothing changes, Nothing changes!”

Darren Wilson

Probably a driver issue. See if there are any later drivers for Win2k for your modem.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

PJPilate

Not one to disagree with the great and powerful Darren, I'd have to place my money on drivers. Windows2000 talks to that modem waaaaaaaaaaaay differently than Windows98 does, and it might end up just not being as fast, even if you update the drivers.

------------------
    www.fdms.com / www.firstdata.com - How the world moves it's money

StevePorter

Lightbulb

Especially internal modems. W2K refuses to work with most. Awhile ago, I finally gave up trying to get my trusty 'ole USR v.90 56K PCI modem to work with W2K (even with W2K drivers), ripped it out, and attached the external version of the same modem (less $150 from my now-thinner wallet). The new one worked right out of the box...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

I have cable for the net but I do use a modem with Symantec's Talkworks Pro for my business answering system/faxing needs. I run W2k and have used Apache, Supra, Phoebe, Zoltrix and a couple other cheap PCI modems without any difficulties at all.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Go to networ and dial-up connection , and look for connection to..
    Conigure your modem with maximum speed.

Whell i have US robotics ISDN modem , when a enable 128 connection. It show me 230kbps connection , whay , probably Win2k problem.

------------------
    Mr. B
    Mr. B

Well, no luck so far. My modem is a U.S. Robotics 56K Voice Winmodem with a product ID number of 87-252600. U. S. Robotics shows this modem in their list of fully functional modems for Windows 2000 stating that the driver is on the W2K CD.

I have done several line tests and always come up with between 26Kbps to a maximum of 31.2 Kbps. I'll use Windows 98 for Internet activities but I sure would like to figure out why my connection speed is so slow just for my own peace of mind. I hate those problems that seem to have no solution.

Thanks For ALL your Help and Suggestions!
    Jeff
    “If nothing changes, Nothing changes!”

archangel

I had a strange modem issue with Win2000. I had 98 w/ an actiontek internal PCI modem. I would never connect faster then 28.8. I upgraded to 2000 and also traded my internal for an external US Rob. 56K modem. I can connect at 44K. I have never had this before. I can actually surf then web at a good rate.

I'm not sure if it was Windows 2000 or the modem that allowed me to connect at a faster rate.

------------------
    www.el-mono.com