[RESOLVED] Virtual memory

Thread: [RESOLVED] Virtual memory

Speedawg

Resolved [RESOLVED] Virtual memory

Hi. I seem to be having a problem with the windows 2000 virtual memory. While playing some games I get a waring box saying that my virtual memory is low and windows is resizing my paging file size. I have increased the virtual memory but keep getting the warning box. My system is a pIII 750 with 128 megs of ram. Any ideas? Thanks

FooL

Fisrt you need to do some tracking of how large your virtual memory is getting. My guess would be setting it to 500MB...if you're a gamer. Anyway, figure out how large your swap file is getting. Then...partition a portion of your harddrive that is exactly that size. (plus a little for system files) Set that partion to Fat32. (NTFS sucks for paging files.) Move your swap file to that partion you've made and voila! Life should be a lot better.

------------------
    Did you reboot the computer yet?

Set your virtual memory to 500mb and set it to the drive that WINNT isn't using such as C:\ drive [make sure your not paging to the same drive that WINNT is installed on]

I know MS has set Paging to all none removable drives - change it and set it all to one drive.

Also make sure your not running applications in the background!

-wayne

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

Question

Paging sys file can be as large as 3 x memory which is the phyical ram installed on your system, also agree with the above posting on setting aside partition for vitural memory only.

------------------
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA Lifes a Beach
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo