Error Message at Startup

Thread: Error Message at Startup

Post Error Message at Startup

I keep getting the error message at startup {running Server 2000} that a service or driver failed to load. I have just demoted this computer from a DC to a stand-alone and back to a DC so I could change the domain name. I have reinstalled DNS and AD.

When I view the “Application” portion of Event Viewer, I see only one error, which reads:
    WMI ADAP was unable to load the perfproc.dll performance library due to an unknown problem with the library.” The error message has a source of WinMgnt.

When I view the “System Log” portion of Event Viewer, I see a ton of errors all at the same time with a Source of DCOM and/or Service Control Manager. The errors with a source of DCOM deal with both NSSTATION and NSUNICAST and both mention “logon failures”. The error with a source of Service Control Manager all deal with Windows Media Station and ALL of these involve “the service did not start due to a logon failure.”

What is the best way to resolve this and HOW do you know what error causes the error message at startup? I am trying to upgrade to Windows 2000 now but never really understood what value the event viewer has when you have no resources to use the provided information to troubleshoot. I guess the main resource I lack is experience. Is there somewhere where one can look at these and other error messages? I have tried the Microsoft KB with no luck.

Thanks for the Help!

Jeff
    “If nothing changes, Nothing changes!”

I solved the problem of the error message at startup by going into the Services applet and changing the four services that were associated with Windows Media from automatic to manual. But, if I try to start them, I get an error message about "failure to logon".

I have tried to configure Windows Media Services but each time I choose my server from the pull-down menu, I am told that the service may not be installed along with 2 other options. I can see my server name in the pull down list but am unable to use the Add or the Remove function. I am told that there was a failure to connect OR I do not have rights to administer the server although I am logged on as Administrator.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Jeff Farrar

Demoting is not always such a good thing to do. I would have formatted and reinstalled Win2k Server as a stand-alone server
    Johnny Mongstad

Thumbs up

Amen to that, Johnny!
    ------------------
    I wish I could turn down the intelligence level of some clients' computers. There's a button on the monitor marked brightness, but it doesn't quite have the desired effect
    ------------------

Your answers lie here!
    Community standards do not maintain themselves: They're
    maintained by people actively applying them, visibly, in public. - Eric Raymond

The services start with a login account. When you demote you kill off the user accout it was using. Change the account it uses and problems go away.
    Don't even ask why they call me stressball....

Thanks Ron for the EventID site. That is a very useful site!

Thanks Again,

Jeff