[RESOLVED] Windows XP

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows XP

Jpbtennisman

Resolved [RESOLVED] Windows XP

I heard that Windows XP is going to be, essentially, a watered-down, prettied-up version of Windows 2000 made for newbies. However I also heard it is going to be a step up bigger than Win 3.1 to Win 95.

Currently I am a self-proclaimed power user running Win2000 on a 550Mhz/192M/30.0GB system. Should I make the upgrade to WinXP? I have heard a lot of bad things about it yet I have heard good things too. If you know anything about it please tell me.

jpo

Just looking at techRepublic and there was alot of noise about Microsoft requiring product code registration for XP that would disable installation on more than one computer. Check out: http://64.4.14.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_l...republic%2ecom

or just: http://www.techrepublic.com/
    and look around for XP buzz

Darren Wilson

Stick with 2000. I know I am.

------------------
    'I won't deny ya, I'm a straight Ridah, You don't wanna f#@k with me'
    Tupac Shakur
    '*****ionz as a Ridah'
    All Eyez On Me
    CD 1 Track 1.

QSECOFR

I'll stay with my 2k. From what I heard, XP is going to be loaded with links to other advertisers. For example, when you upload pics from a digital camera, it will ask you to develop them. If you say yes, it will take you to a website.

I was looking at some comparisions with Mac OS X(I know Smac-n-toss), and they are going to a BSD kernel.

------------------
    OS/400...At least it's not Microsoft.

RoysG

It will be really Nice. There wil be 2 new Edition.

I have 4 Screenshots, wherw can I put them, so all can watch them?

RoysG

------------------
    Is my 286 fast enought?

[This message has been edited by RoysG (edited March 06, 2001).]

I have been playing around with XP,

It’s nice and smooth! Lots of EYE CANDY!

It depends on the Key Code and Registration as to how the OS will be setup...

Things can change before it goes Gold but the registration hype is overblown! MS is experimenting with the registration and the media jumped on the Anti-MS bandwagon thinking it was a done deal [It's Not].

I still like Win2K and plan on keeping it!
    XP has a lot to offer Internet users, Office XP is cool but sticking with O2K.

-wayne

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

mogul218

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jpbtennisman:
    I heard that Windows XP is going to be, essentially, a watered-down, prettied-up version of Windows 2000 made for newbies. However I also heard it is going to be a step up bigger than Win 3.1 to Win 95.

Currently I am a self-proclaimed power user running Win2000 on a 550Mhz/192M/30.0GB system. Should I make the upgrade to WinXP? I have heard a lot of bad things about it yet I have heard good things too. If you know anything about it please tell me.
    </font>
    Windows XP is actually a "downgrade" from Win 2k. Windows XP will be the OS that finally makes home use stable so you don't have to restart you computer after every few hours of use. Win 2K will be the flagship OS for a couple of years yet. I would stick with it. If I don't have to go through all the registration BS Microsoft has planned, I will be upgrading Windows 98 on my dual boot to XP.

------------------
    "Throughout human history, we have been dependent on machines to survive. Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."

if only i could get my games to play as well as they do on 9x/ME...
    I love 2k, but when it comes to gaming, it bites.
    I am wondering which will have the better DX performance in the end, as you know that is the only reason ME was published and not just a sideshow.
    MS couldnt get the NT kernal to work fast enough (stable) to publish it as THE OS.