Active Directory

Thread: Active Directory

Angry Active Directory

Can someone please point me at some resource that makes some easy sense of this abominable creation? I don't consider myself stupid on TCP/IP, in fact i've passed certs on it, but getting Active setup and working right is avoiding me.

I'm not looking to be able to do huge cluster installs or anything of that nature, just a simple AD-enabled Win2K server so I can put Exchange on it.

*lin*

------------------
    *Life 1.0 is broke, 2.0 needs patched, and 3.0 isn't due out for 6 months. *sigh*
    I actually voted for John Kerry, before I voted against him.

mogul218

Question

I'm not trying to be rude at all.....How did you pass the MCSE? You did pass the 2000 track, right? Do you still have the textbooks?

------------------
    "Throughout human history, we have been dependent on machines to survive. Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."

Never said I was an MCSE. I said I'd passed certs on TCP, ie the NT4.0 TCP option. In other words, I comprehend TCP, but AD isn't making any sense.

*lin*

------------------
    *Life 1.0 is broke, 2.0 needs patched, and 3.0 isn't due out for 6 months. *sigh*
    I actually voted for John Kerry, before I voted against him.

mogul218

Okay, sorry about that. Active Directory is a very complicated subject. I would suggest buying one of the MCSE 70-217 Exam Textbooks. McGraw-Hill and Sybex are both really good. I use the McGraw-Hill personally. Stay away from the Microsoft version because it doesn't cover the subjects as well. Good Luck!

------------------
    "Throughout human history, we have been dependent on machines to survive. Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."

www.labmice.net is a resource I use heavily for all my 2000 questions. Good luck and have fun.

FYI-TCP/IP is not an exam for the 2000 trac, microsoft has incorporated those questions in to the other exams.

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

iamtheman

Cool

Take a look at this: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win2000/intro11.asp It's very basic but it will give you a good start. If you are heavily involved in Microsoft Networking I highly recommend Windows 2000 magazine, http://www.win2000mag.net , its one of my number one resources.

------------------
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

iamtheman

One other thing, as you have learned you need to have AD up and running before you can install Exchange 2000. Read the Exchange 2000 online documentation on the Installation procedure. You need to first prep the directory before you begin the exchange install. You actually need to run the setup.exe with two switches; setup /forestprep and setup domainprep.

------------------
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

super simple:

install win2k server (or advanced server)
    install service pack
    install dns - dont setup zones
    install wins (always good)
    install DHCP - if needed
    run dcpromo - dont let windows configure DNS (mistake if you do)
    re-boot server
    config DNS, setup zones as you did w/ dcpromo.
    run 'net time /setsntp:<2kdomaincontrollermachinename>
    install exchange 2k
    config exchange 2k
    create users (or add mailboxes to already created users)

pretty simple if you ask me.

active dir is for syncing of servers, policy updates, and some deployment (only on win2k though)

we have win2k server on 3 machines, one running ISA Server, one running terminal services, and one running exchange 2000.
    we will be moving two from nt4.0tse/citrix to win2k and terminal services within the year.
    I love being the tech god here...
    I have complete control, I am IT...
    (dont need the stars....)

unfortunately some people don't have the working knowledge of AD
    i still like the Administrators Pocket Consultant when i get stuck...$22.00 bux at compusa...it comes in handy when you need it
    #3 1951-2001