Unable to install and unistall ethernet controller
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unable to install and unistall ethernet controller

Unhappy Unable to install and unistall ethernet controller

I can't install a D-Link 530TX on my Win2k machine. During the installation process I get an error message saying "cannot continue with the installation, the data is invalid". I've tried updating the drivers in device manager but still get the same problem. Also whenever the card is plugged in I can't remove a yellow question mark in device manager (under other devices > ethernet controller). I've tried removing in safe mode but it just remains there. It only goes if I unplug the card from my PC.

I've also tried installing other NIC's but I experience the same problem. When ever I boot into Windows the OS tries to install automatically but fails with the same error message.

Can any one help......
    TIA

My machine is based on Win2k SP2, Asus TUSL-C M/B, Celeron 1.2GHz.

Have you tried using different slots? Is acpi enabled? Is the irq assigned in bios?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

There is a file in %systemroot%\Driver Cache\i386\ directory called DRIVER.CAB. This is the cab file that Win2K keeps most (if not all) of it's need-to-have drivers. Try replacing it with a driver.cab file from another system. I know it sounds nuts, but I got the exact same issue when trying to install an HP printer. (Data invalid) It ended up being a corrupt driver.cab file.

Good luck!
    DON'T PANIC

If its a multi user system, make sure the user you are logged in under has local admin rights. You can get alot of strange error messages if you try to install HW or SW with insufficient permissions.
    " yeah, I know, you didn't change anything."

Here is the installation how to from D-LINK on that card in W2K.
    <a href="ftp://ftp.dlink.com/NIC/dfe530tx+/QIG/DFE530TX+_98ME2KQIG_120601F.pdf" target="_blank">ftp://ftp.dlink.com/NIC/dfe530tx+/QIG/DFE530TX+_98ME2KQIG_120601F.pdf</a>

Unhappy

Thanks for all the advice so far.

I've followed all the above advice but still can't install the D-Link NIC.

I think my main problem is not being able to remove the yellow question mark in device manager (under other devices > ethernet controller). I've tried uninstalling ethernet controller in add/remove hardware, hidden list. A Windows message acknowledges that it is successfully uninstalled but when I go back into add/remove hardware ethernet card is still there.

Any more ideas on how I could get rid of the ethernet controller in device manager??

Do you have any other pci devices in other slots? Are they working correctly? What is the actual error shown on the properties windows for the NIC, what does the event viewer have to say?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Unhappy

I have other PCI devices and they are all working fine.

This is the shown for the NIC in device manager:
    "This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
    To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver." I've tried updating the drivers but I get the error message "An error has occurred during the installation of the device. The data is invalid", whic is the same message when Windows tries to automatically install the NIC when it boots up.

There's nothing in the event viewer relating to the NIC.

I've noticed one thing. In add/remove hardware under hidden list there are 3 yellow question marked ethernet controllers. I've tried installing the NIC on 3 PCI slots. These ethernet controllers can't be removed.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by CKY:
    <strong>I have other PCI devices and they are all working fine.

This is the shown for the NIC in device manager:
    "This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
    To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver." I've tried updating the drivers but I get the error message "An error has occurred during the installation of the device. The data is invalid", whic is the same message when Windows tries to automatically install the NIC when it boots up.

There's nothing in the event viewer relating to the NIC.

I've noticed one thing. In add/remove hardware under hidden list there are 3 yellow question marked ethernet controllers. I've tried installing the NIC on 3 PCI slots. These ethernet controllers can't be removed.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you have an SB Live? Try reserving IRQ 5 in the bios for legacy/ISA. Boot into windows, open cmd prompt, type "SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1", then type "start devmgmt.msc". Device manager will open. Click VIEW -> Show hidden devices. Scroll down to ethernet controllers and remove all of them. Next, try replacing that DRIVER.CAB file I talked about in my earlier post. I believe you can find it in your Win2K cd under \i386\drivers\..?

Reboot, cross your fingers
    DON'T PANIC

Unhappy

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by techleet:

<strong>
    Do you have an SB Live? Try reserving IRQ 5 in the bios for legacy/ISA. Boot into windows, open cmd prompt, type "SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1", then type "start devmgmt.msc". Device manager will open. Click VIEW -> Show hidden devices. Scroll down to ethernet controllers and remove all of them. Next, try replacing that DRIVER.CAB file I talked about in my earlier post. I believe you can find it in your Win2K cd under \i386\drivers\..? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't have an SB live.

I've reserved IRQ 5 in my bios but still can't remove ethernet controller in device manager. When the NIC is plugged in device manager will show ethernet controller. When the NIC isn't plugged in only add/remove hardware will show the ethernet controllers.

I've already replace the drvier.cab file from my Win2k cd.

I found this on MS site
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306983" target="_blank">http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306983</a>
    I've followed it but can't delete the subkeys for ethernet conrollers.

Any more ideas on how to solve this problem....

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by CKY:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by techleet:

<strong>
    Do you have an SB Live? Try reserving IRQ 5 in the bios for legacy/ISA. Boot into windows, open cmd prompt, type "SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1", then type "start devmgmt.msc". Device manager will open. Click VIEW -> Show hidden devices. Scroll down to ethernet controllers and remove all of them. Next, try replacing that DRIVER.CAB file I talked about in my earlier post. I believe you can find it in your Win2K cd under \i386\drivers\..? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't have an SB live.

I've reserved IRQ 5 in my bios but still can't remove ethernet controller in device manager. When the NIC is plugged in device manager will show ethernet controller. When the NIC isn't plugged in only add/remove hardware will show the ethernet controllers.

I've already replace the drvier.cab file from my Win2k cd.

I found this on MS site
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306983" target="_blank">http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306983</a>
    I've followed it but can't delete the subkeys for ethernet conrollers.

Any more ideas on how to solve this problem....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">What happens when you try to delete the reg keys?? Are you getting an error message? You ARE logged in as a user with Administrative rights, correct?? If not, there's your problem
    DON'T PANIC

I get this message if I try to delete the subkeys: "Registry Editor could not delete the key currently selected. The key or one of its subkeys does not give you the delete access"

Yes I am logged in as administrator

Have you tried removing the card from the PC booting to safe mode and removing the card there as well. Then reboot make sure it does not show anywhere. Then install the driver for the card, when it asks to reboot shutdown and install the card.
    <a href="http://www.dlink.co.uk/products/dfe-530tx/dfe530tx%20w2k%20install.htm" target="_blank">http://www.dlink.co.uk/products/dfe-530tx/dfe530tx%20w2k%20install.htm</a>

Unhappy

I've tried everything in safe mode but still can't remove them ethernet controllers.

Does anyone know how to edit the registry other than using regedt32.exe?

Have you tried the old W9X way. Add remove windows component remove networking. Reboot add networking back in.
    For the access denied try right click the key in the left pane and select permissions and give yourself rights.I think system has the only real rights on those keys.