Windows 2000 Active Directory

Thread: Windows 2000 Active Directory

Cool Windows 2000 Active Directory

I would like to know how or the best way to setup Active Directory. Sure I make of a .com or use a .com that we are currently using.

I would HIGHLY suggest taking an active directory certification class so you understand the ins and outs of it. I could sit here and type up over 100 pages on it and how to use it, but I'm not. That's a waste of my time and yours. Take a MS cert. class on it, and you'll learn everything you'll want to know.

There are also quite a few web sites that you could go to to find out information. I would suggest starting with the Windows 2000 resource kit which can be found at:
    http://www.reskit.com
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

From a security point of view, making your AD root domain a public dns name is a bad idea. A better solution is to make your internal dns name a private name like ourcompany.int. Then add a new domain to your forest that carries your public dns name. Place the new domain in your DMZ, lock it down like fort knox, and configure your domain controllers for replication/administration over IPSEC to keep the holes down in your firewall.

This is only done for security and administration. Your web servers don't need to be on AD unless you have apps or web services that require it. If you run .NET services you'll need to do something like this unless you want to manage two forests.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

There is a reserved Top Level Domain for use with AD - .local

As has been said - read up or take a class first. Once you have set it up you will have to live with some of the settings forever. Having said that, I like AD a lot.