how do u remove Win2000 Advance Server?

Thread: how do u remove Win2000 Advance Server?

Post how do u remove Win2000 Advance Server?

Hi and thanks for dropping by,

I recently installed Windows 2000 Advance Server just to check out the different between the pro's. O boy, Win2k AS was a pig, sucking up almost all of my system resource (P3 733 and 128MB is nothing theseday) but it worth it.
    Win2k AS sits beneath Win98 (both with their own partitions) and I want to remove Win2k AS without damaging the Win98.
    Win2k/AS uses Boot.ini and an NT loader to load multiple OS' and if I format the Win2k/AS drive win98 wouldn't load (I tried on Win2k pro)

Does anyone know how to remove Win2k/AS? I have partition Boot Magic but I don't think it help if the Win2k loader (and other files which I don't know off) screw up.

P.S. is there anyway to install Win2k Pro without installing any Win9.x first? I want to install win2k pro fresh but everytime it needs to have pre-windows installed.

thanks in advance

------------------
    No one cares how hard you worked,
    they want result!
    No one cares how hard you worked,
    they want result!

lcassey

Boot up with a Win98 boot disk and at the command prompt type sys c: (or whatever partition your 98 install is on) This will get rid of the Winnt boot loader and 98 will run. You may want to reset the MBR if it doesn't by in a dos prompt again type fdisk /mbr

re clean install of 2000, assuming your CD is an original and not a dodgy burned copy, it'll be bootable so just changee your start up options in Bios to boot from the CD and it'll run when your reboot. If not then you can again use a Win 98 startup disk, naivigate to the I386 directory on your CD and run winnt.exe from a command line prompt and win2k will install (it'll be slow this way though as it won't have smartdrive on it and will warn you but you can proceed anyway. This way will add about an extra hour to the install.)

Have Fun!!