[RESOLVED] Custom Install???

Thread: [RESOLVED] Custom Install???

shanff

Resolved [RESOLVED] Custom Install???

I have final code 2195 and when I install, it never asks for custom install. It just runs all of the way through installing everything. Am I doing something wrong, or are there files to edit to allow me to customize?

rlocone

Originally posted by shanff:
    I have final code 2195 and when I install, it never asks for custom install. It just runs all of the way through installing everything. Am I doing something wrong, or are there files to edit to allow me to customize?
    As far as I know, there isn't one. What version 2195 are you running? If you don't know run winver @ the CMD prompt.

------------------
    ...rlocone...
    [email protected]
    rlocone.system.console

[This message has been edited by rlocone (edited February 18, 2000).]

shanff

Thumbs down

final code...2195...non evaluation, non expiring. please don't tell me there is no custom install to this OS. I'll be darned if i am gonna install something that i cant customize.

you can customize network, and regional settings. but as far as hardware/drivers and windows components, no you don't have much range to customize. you can add most of the optional components post setup, but so far as I know you can't not install some things.

Cool

I don't know if you guys saw this, but apparently shanff did solve his problem. You can edit components after installation. He posted his answer in the thread entitled "Hibernate." This is what he said:

Just found it.... To have windows show all components in the Add/Remove Control Panel (i.e. Accessories) simple open the following file: C:\WINNT\inf\sysoc.inf. After opening the file, erase ALL instances of the word "hide". For example, the line "Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7" would be "Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7" Do NOT remove the commas.

I have tried this, and it does work. I would just recommend backing up the file first.
    A mind really is like a parachute: It's a million-to-one you'll need one in this lifetime.

Angry

I tried removing the "hide" options as mentioned above. It really didn't help me remove much. What I'd like to remove is Outlook Express. I use the full blown Outlook 97. Though IE5 will open Outlook to read my mail(my default mail program), any time I want to send a page, link, etc, I get Outlook Express. Any ideas?
    Three things are certain: Death, taxes, and lost data.
    Guess which has occurred.

shanff

Question

have you tried looking into internet options under the "tools" tab? you set up the different programs you need to use under that.

Question

"tools\internet options\programs" is where I initially set Outlook to be my default email program.
    Three things are certain: Death, taxes, and lost data.
    Guess which has occurred.