Memory?

Thread: Memory?

Post Memory?

I want to buy some more memory.i am currently
    using 64 mb of EDO simms.What i plan on
    buying is 64 pc133 sdram.my motherboard manual the board support both types of memory
    what does the 133 mean?The manual also says
    supports 64-bit DRAM/SDRAM technology.Does
    this mean i cannot use the pc133 sdram?

Thanks

Cool

The 64 bit refers to the chip size and all memory is 64 bit wide at the moment.

It looks like you were thinking of adding another 64 to make 128, am I correct. If so, you may run into problems, this has recently been covered, but to recap:

The last 2 SIMM slots will share the same lines as the first DIMM slots, so it is a pain to add memory.

The 133 is the speed the memory runs at. Originally, the speed was in nanoseconds (your SIMM's will be 70nS). With the arrival of the Pentium II, the memory was run at the same speed as the CPU, first 66 Mhz, then 100 and now 133. Although 133 is backward compatable with motherboards, some boards refuse to work with it. I once spent an entire afternoon trying to add 1 stick of Ram to a machine.

As they are giving away RAM at the moment, I would invest in a 128 Mb @ 100 Mhz, and remove all the SIMM's. If the 100 Mhz, doesn't work then you will need 66 Mhz RAM (which is very rare). See if you can borrow a stick of PC100 from a friend and try it first.
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah