Printing Notification

Thread: Printing Notification

Post Printing Notification

Using Windows 2000 w/SP1, verytime I print, I get an annoying "PRINTING NOTIFICATION" within a windows titled "Messenger Service." Now I know there is nothing wrong here, it's just letting me know my last print job was a success, but I find it rather annoying and I would like to know if anybody out there knows how to get rid of it.
    Any ideas?
    I'd rather be fly-fishing.....

go to the control panel, click on services and right click on messenger. then go to properites, there you can set the messenger which gives you those annoying printing messages from the Alerter services to start manually instead of automatically.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Originally posted by Budster64:
    go to the control panel, click on services and right click on messenger. then go to properites, there you can set the messenger which gives you those annoying printing messages from the Alerter services to start manually instead of automatically.
    oh yea sure...if you can find the "properites" by right clicking I'll be impressed

geezz I knew I should have finished the Mavis bacon...becon....bican....ahh the hell with it
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up

Budster, thanks for the post. Quick question though, if I select manual instead of automatic, what else will that affect other than my "print notifications?"

Originally posted by Atlas:
    Budster, thanks for the post. Quick question though, if I select manual instead of automatic, what else will that affect other than my "print notifications?"
    Yes it will, any other notifications from the Alerter services will not automatically show up on your desktop. in my case I check the event logs on a constant basis throughout the day. I filter them so I only see errors and the such so I am on top of what's going on. But if you really want to continue to receive messages on other events you can filter your audits to your liking. I can provide you details or were to get the info to accomplish this as soon as I get a chance.
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up

One more thing, if this is a stand alone desktop it really won't affect anything extremely important. I definitely shut it down on my desktop. But like I stated in my previous post you can tailor your audits to whatever your needs are.
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up

Budster,
    I tried setting the alerter to manual just like you suggested, but it didn't seem to have any effect. Do I need to disable it rather then just set it to manual?

Thanks for your time and help. This has proven to be very useful for me....

Originally posted by Atlas:
    Budster,
    I tried setting the alerter to manual just like you suggested, but it didn't seem to have any effect. Do I need to disable it rather then just set it to manual?

Thanks for your time and help. This has proven to be very useful for me....
    I'm sorry my bad I must not have Stated this clearly enough, darn users always coming in and interupting me when I'm trying to help someone Deserving of my help

Atlas, in the same place you turned the Alerter service to manual, scroll down and find another service called Messenger( this is the one that actually posts those messages) and set that to manual. And also make sure you shut it down ( you can also do that in properties) otherwise it will still be active until you reboot.
    let me know if you have any questions.
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up

I'm sorry my bad I must not have Stated this clearly enough, darn users always coming in and interupting me when I'm trying to help someone Deserving of my help

Atlas, in the same place you turned the Alerter service to manual.
    Budster,
    No, no, no....it's my bad, I did not explain myself very well.... sorry. I have been modifying the messenger service, (not the alerter), I understood you correctly. I was writing you back because it still wasn't working, but now I know why. I haven't rebooted yet..... duh, that should been a given for me. Guess I need more sleep at night or more cofee in the morn.
    Anyhow, I should be good to go from here. I'm sorry for taken so much of your time. You've been a great help.....

not a problem, anytime. But you can shut down the service without rebooting. Just under startup options, you'll notice there is a button that says Stop or start ( depending on the state of the service.) just click on stop and the service will shutdown without having to reboot.
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up

not a problem, anytime. But you can shut down the service without rebooting. Just under startup options, you'll notice there is a button that says Stop or start ( depending on the state of the service.) just click on stop and the service will shutdown without having to reboot.
    see this is what I mean, I am NOT stating myself clearly. If you look just under the dropdown menu where you set Messanger from Automatic to manual. It'll gibve you the option to stop the service. this would be on the same screen. this way you can shut it down and not have to reboot.

and your very welcome, I hope I have not confused the issue for you. God only knows I sure as heck confused it for me.

Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up

I originally posted a solution, but had deleted it because I gave the instuctions on WinXP, which I assumed was similar to Win2K.

The option to disable the print notification is:
    CP>Printers, highlight the printer, then click File>Server Properties, Advanced tab.

There you'll see the uncheck boxes(2).
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!

Thumbs up

Windows NT servers issue out printer notifications using the messenger sevice to Windows NT clients. If you look at the server properties of the Windows NT server in the Printer Control Panel, one of the advanced options is Printer Notification and you can check or uncheck it.

Talking

Problem solved. Thanks all of you for the help. There were a couple different solutions offered, and I've decided to go with BBROPHY's solution. Thanks again.

Originally posted by bbrophy:
    Windows NT servers issue out printer notifications using the messenger sevice to Windows NT clients. If you look at the server properties of the Windows NT server in the Printer Control Panel, one of the advanced options is Printer Notification and you can check or uncheck it.