[RESOLVED] quesiton about the win2K start up disk !

Thread: [RESOLVED] quesiton about the win2K start up disk !

smarter_ca

Resolved [RESOLVED] quesiton about the win2K start up disk !

I have successfully copy win2k professional start up disk into 4 floppies.
    When I use them to boot up, it says
    " STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
    \systemroot\System32\ntdll.dll

I wonder how to solve such problem so that
    I can go into the partiotion page to format
    my C drive.(in another words, delet my win2K operationg system).
    Please give me some help experts!

Iridium x2

Cool

Goto the BIOS and choose to boot up from your CD-Rom. Insert your Win2K CD and boot up. Follow the instructions. Keep in mind when you use NTF format, later on if you want to reinstall Win98, Win95, etc, it will be VERY difficult. So think about formating using FAT or FAT32 formats instead.

smarter_ca

To Iridium x2:
    Thanks a lot.
    From your quote:
    "Keep in mind when you use NTF format, later on if you want to reinstall Win98, Win95, etc, it will be VERY difficult. So think about formating using FAT or FAT32 formats instead."

How to format my C drive using FAT or FAT32?
    Am I using NTF format now?

Sorry I need more steps coz I am new to pc.

shanff

man, am i reading things right? very difficult to go back to fat? sheesh, all it takes is running fdisk to delete the "non-dos" partition and create a new primary dos partition. if that's hard, then computers aren't your thing.

Iridium x2

Thumbs down

Originally posted by shanff:
    man, am i reading things right? very difficult to go back to fat? sheesh, all it takes is running fdisk to delete the "non-dos" partition and create a new primary dos partition. if that's hard, then computers aren't your thing.
    Like he said, he is new to computers, not like u, who was born knowing all. Why not make things a bit easier 4 others if u can? In the long run it will save them time and us bandwith.

Ya ... if u have NTF now, u will need 2 use FDISK. One thing I have learn thrue the years when I set up a new box is that when I FDISK, it is easier 4 me later on when problems do arise, to partion the hard drive C:, D:, etc ... and just give C: to the operating system. In another words, my C: drive is only partioned in approx 4 or so gigs just 4 Win2K, then the rest of the hard drive 4 proggies and another partion 4 downloads and such. It just makes your life easier later on when problems do arise. Plus it is an extra security and recovery step.

smarter_ca

I should make a partition before I installed the Win2K professional and now it causes me so many troubles.
    My C drive containing WinNT and that's the only drive I have.
    When I use 98 or 95 strat up disk it can't detect C drive. That's the reason why I have to boot it by using win2K CD.
    Anyway, I will have to work it on again and
    hopefully everything works fine.
    Thanks for the info experts.

If you want to convert from NTFS to Fat, and you are still running winNT, you shouldn't use FAT32. WinNT can only read FAT16.

To convert from NTFS to FAT16, I would recommend using Partition Magic 5. This program will allow you to convert from one type of partition to the other without destroying your data. If you simply fdisk or use the win2k cd to format your drive to a FAT32 partition you will lose all your data.

This program isn't free, but if you plan on working with computers for a while then it might be worth buying. Also, make sure you back up all your data before converting your drive. As with any program, it isn't perfect.

smarter_ca

I got Partition Magic from my friend now
    and can anyone tell me how to use it?
    My purpose is to delet W2K NT and install a Win98 on it. What should I do with the partition then?
    FAT32 or FAT16? Does FAT16 works on the Win98 as well?
    What type of the partition do I have it now?

Too many people with too little information. I need to remind the non-registered users that when you use NTFS on the system partition, you cannot simply FDISK because you can't boot to DOS.

Next caveat: Don't use PartMagic to convert NTFS to FATanything. It can cause data loss, misalignment and general screwing up. Instead, get on another computer, install Partition Magic, and make the boot disks. That way, it doesn't matter what you have on the HD. While you're at it, format a blank floppy, use the option to copy system files to it, and when it's done, find the file SYS.COM on that computer (prolly in the c:\windows\command\ directory) and copy that to the floppy.

After you make the disks, start up your machine with the Partition Magic boot disks, run Partition Magic. Delete All partitions, format them in FAT32, make one partition of maximum size. Be sure the partition is active, then reboot the computer.

Take out the Partition Magic disk, put in the floppy you formatted and put the system files on. Boot up. once you get to an A: prompt, type SYS C: That will allow you to boot the puter. Remove the floppy, restart the machine (you can hit ctrl+alt+del), and go into your BIOS settings and change it to boot to the CDROM first. Save settings and restart. Stick in the OS CD of your choice before boot and the computer should start the installer program all by it's lonesome.

Note: If you plan on installing other operating systems (dual-booting), you will want to make multiple partitions. Just remember that each OS will need roughly 2 GB of space to operate effectively.

Whew!
    "What would anybody want with a blind dog?"