win2k freeze

Thread: win2k freeze

Red face win2k freeze

I have win2k pro and I'm running IE5.5, SP1. win2k has been running great for 5-6 months, except...

Several times I've had EVERYTHING freeze up on me. This only happens when IE is running. When I say it freezes I mean everything, no ctrl-alt-del will work, nothing. I've got to power down and reboot. I know this kind of shutdown can't be good on an "NT" machine, so I really need to get this one fixed.

I had a similar problem with a win2k pc and it turned out to be the power supply. It locked up imediately in IE5.
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

Lightbulb

Any recently installed software that accesses or enables a driver that was previously disabled? I've had win2k freezes several months after install. In every case it was a device driver or IRQ conflict. IE or windows explorer are commonly running when the freezes occur due to their registry integration. Good luck

I had the same pb, and I have dicouvered that bus mastering of Graphic Card caused such freezing. So I have diabled that option from Graphics option and since there is no freeze up. (My graphic card is Matrox G200 and one of my friend had also the same pb with another manufacture nDvia)