Routing issue on win2k server

Thread: Routing issue on win2k server

Post Routing issue on win2k server

Okay I have a win2k server with two nics one for internal network one for external network. the server can surf the web no issue there the clients can NOT the clients all point to the server as there gateway and the server internal card has no gateway listed the external nic has the router fro the ISDN line as the gateway.
    If you need more info just ask I am stumped.
    the reason we set it up this way is to increase security. I guess I did to good a job cuz no one can get in if no can get out HA HA ... sorry if I don't laugh now I will probally scream (not recommmended if on clients site they tend to lose faith at that point.)
    we are the music makers we are the dreamers of the dreams.. Willy Wonka

Is the server also acting as a dhcp/dns server?
    Is routing and remote access configured properly?
    are the clients able to pull ip addresses or are they statically assigned? Have you tried just installing ICS to see if you can get the clients to browse?
    #3 1951-2001

have you binded a deferent ip address to each nic and if you have are your workstations targeted to your internal ip
    Impounded impressions of aggressive democracy see lil need to help poverty/
    A land of freedom? Of wealth? Of justice?
    I fear not for me, but for my children to wake up and see, that I am nothing but a slave
    In modern society

Ok DHCP and DNS are installed and configured
    and working correctly I installed Ras/routing
    and tried multiple configurations to get it to work but no luck I set up ICS but the only way I can get it to work is to set static IP's on the clients but I do not like setting it up that way
    the clients are set to the internal card as there gateway the internal card has no gateway like this the server can surf but the clients can't with the internal card's gateway set to the external's card ip addy the server can't surf
    nd niether can the clients I have read everthing I can get my hands on about Ras/routing in Win2k
    but can NOT find the answer. according to the Documents I have found it is setup properly but it still ain't working

have you authorized the dhcp server?
    I have a bad habit of confusing which nic card is which and end up confusing the internal with the external.
    #3 1951-2001

yup dhcp is authorized I used two diffrent brands of nics then named them internal and external
    I have also made the mistake of confusing the nics

try going into routing and remote access...under IP Routing...click on General....then right click the adapter that you use for the internal network and go to properties...make sure IP Routing Manager is checked...look under the configuration tab and make sure there is a static IP and default gateway of the external card listed. If everything looks ok then right click on Network Address Translation and check the properties on the two adapters and make sure they are configured correctly. If that doesn't help you you might try uninstalling/reinstalling DHCP and delete/recreate the RAS server.
    #3 1951-2001