[RESOLVED] Sharing a network printer

Thread: [RESOLVED] Sharing a network printer

Mark Lee

Question Sharing a network printer

I'm using Win2000 Professional as a file and print server for a workstation running WinME. I'm using simple TCP/IP communication. I have a HP LaserJet connected to the network via a JetDirect Ethernet port on the printer. I'm trying to share this printer with the other PC but I can't actually see it on the network from the other PC. However, if I add a network printer from the workstations and type in the network path, the printer gets set up ok and I can use it from Word, Excel, etc. However, because I can't actually see it on the network, I can't set up my HP specific drivers within AutoCAD because I need to 'see and select' it from the network list...it doesn't let me type in a path. I can only assume it's a permissions thing, and I've looked into that, but I can't see for the life of me what I'm missing.

I should mention too that I'm not very familiar with proper server practices. I simply assigned IP adresses for the computers and set up the ME workstation for 'Client for MS Windows' as the primary login with the Server as the host (no domain name). I also configured the Workstation user as a user in the Win2000 PC.

Whew...ok I think that's it. Any suggestions?

Is everything on the same subdomain (usually it is 255.255.255.0)?
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Mark Lee

Yes. Everything is on the subnet 255.255.255.0 and the IP addresses are 192.192.100.1 (server), 192.192.100.2 (ME workstation) and 192.192.100.3 (JetDirect Port on printer).

Something that was not mentioned here was the presence of a print queue created and shared on the server itself for this specific printer. That step is necessary for anyone accessing the Windows network to actually "see" it. Although installing it from it's IP address is possible, you may find it simpler to click on it from Network Places/Network Neighborhood and install it that way.

By default, HP network-enabled printers already use an IP address in the 192.###.###.### range.

There may be some conflict if the "new" address is too similar to the factory default.

Have you tried other protocols such as IPX to see if the JetDirect port responds?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Ya beat me to step 2 adept. Ditto
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Mark Lee

Actually...

I solved the problem by capturing the local port LPT1 to a network address (\\server\laserjet 5000n), then I told AutoCAD to print to the local port. Voila!

Thanks for the help, gang.