BSOD and Reboot Loop

Thread: BSOD and Reboot Loop

Question BSOD and Reboot Loop

- This has also been posted in the Tech to Tech section -

Have a customer with a Dell Latitude C600 with Win 2k. Last week he was traveling with his laptop and had to turn it off without using a proper shutdown and after this his laptop won't boot. According to him it gets to the splash screen goes and right before it goes to the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen he gets a BSOD w/ a physical dump and then the computer will reboot and follow the process. He says goes through the BSOD too quickly for him to gather any info on it. Any advice on this? Anyone seen this? Please Please help.
    "Motivation is not enough. You can motivate an idiot.. But then... all you have... is a motivated idiot."

Can he start it in "safe mode"? Can he use "last known good configuration" as he hasn't logged back in since incorrect shutdown.

(Press F8 on start of W2K bootup)
    I never apologize to anyone ever. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am. (Homer Simpson, 1999)

Safe Mode and Last Known Good do not work either. User tried to repair using "repair disk" and said it did not help. As of right now I think the only option is to redo it... anyone else have any suggestions?
    "Motivation is not enough. You can motivate an idiot.. But then... all you have... is a motivated idiot."

Unless your customer has money to burn, do the reinstall and get it over with. You'll have to backup his data first; which probably means you'll have to hook up his laptop HD to a desktop machine and dump the contents that way.

I had this exact same problem! After much frustration, I finally called M$ and used one of my two free support calls.

The tech had me go into the recovery console and copy several crucial files from the CD to the HD. I wish I could remember exactly what I had to do, but I was so elated about my computer working again that I failed to record the process taken.

Try giving the folks in Redmond a call, though. They should be able to help.

David Sanders