DNS and Active Directory with Home Network?

Thread: DNS and Active Directory with Home Network?

Question DNS and Active Directory with Home Network?

Is it possible to set up a DNS server for resolution of internal network names while at the same time using an ISP's DNS servers for Internet name resolution, this all accomplished without having a registered domain name or a static IP address?

I am playing around with Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I have setup a PDC which is not yet fully functional because there is no DNS Server on my local network and because Active Directory does not work without a DNS server. A DNS server was not necessary with NT 4.0 because name resolution could be accomplished through WINS.

As previously implied, I do not have a registered domain name, nor do I have a static IP address.

My play network has a router which is functioning as a DHCP server internally and which directs my server and clients to my ISP's DNS servers for Internet name resolution.

Any advice?

Yes, under the zone's properties, use forwarders, put your ISP's DNS Ipaddresses in there.
    I do the same thing at work on our proxy server.
    If the server does not have it, either in the zones or in cache, it will forward the request to the server, and relay it back to the client.

Sorry didn't read the entire post.

You will need to setup a dns server for your domain that you have created, and have it set to allow dynamic updates.
    Once this has been completed, you should be good to go.

BTW, would you mind uploading an ISO and providing a key for that? I doubt you paid for it so you might as well share.
    Windows 2000 advanced server is around 4000 from Microsoft.

Shame Kannibul! Upload an image! Provide a key! I think not! :^)

My copy of Advanced Server is a completely legal, 10 client, not-for-resale-type, edition. All your other cynicism aside, you are completely correct in your suggestion that I did not pay for it. It was free. Do not ask how or why. If I were to tell you, I would have to kill you. ;^)

Thanks for the advice!