Can't see installed programs logged as diff. user

Thread: Can't see installed programs logged as diff. user

Post Can't see installed programs logged as diff. user

Hi ! I have a problem with Windows 2000 Pro.
    I "clean installed" it on my computer and therefore I'm the ADMINISTRATOR for that standalone computer . People have told me no to spend time logged as the administrator and mostly of the time to be logged as an USER ....So I created an account for me as "RESTRICTED USER"...using a nickname and a different password ...but when I install a new program on my computer logged as the Administrator...when I log off and then I log in again under my "restricted user"
    account I can't see the program in the START menu and I can't see any desktop shortcut of the program I installed as an administrator.
    However, I see the program installed in the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS located in the Control Panel .....
    How can I make the programs to appear for all the accounts I use on my computer????

I also forgot to ask for help on this one :

I upgraded my computer memory from 96MB RAM to 256MB RAM running Win 2K Pro .
    Someone told me I should change the Virtual Memory and a thing called "swap file" or something like that , he told me I need to adjust the size of the "swap file" (virtual memory) to adapt it to my new computer memory
    size...from (96MB to 256MB)...
    Is that true or is he joking at me?????

Originally posted by drivers2000:
    <STRONG>I also forgot to ask for help on this one :

I upgraded my computer memory from 96MB RAM to 256MB RAM running Win 2K Pro .
    Someone told me I should change the Virtual Memory and a thing called "swap file" or something like that , he told me I need to adjust the size of the "swap file" (virtual memory) to adapt it to my new computer memory
    size...from (96MB to 256MB)...
    Is that true or is he joking at me?????</STRONG>
    Yes. Adjust your swap file to at least the amount of physical memory you have. I try for double if I can afford the space.

Now for your original question:

It could be that the programs you are running require admin or power user rights to run. Also, if it's just the shortcuts you want to show up for all users, just logon as the admin, and move them from c:\Docs and Settings\administrator\start menu\programs to c:\docs and settings\all users\start menu\programs

your swap file should be no more then 2 1/2 times the amount of your ram. But you need to remember the size of your harddrive because the bigger you make your swapfile, the smaller you are making the amount of usable space on the drive. You also want to make the min and max the same number for the swapfile so the file doesn't change. If i were you, i would put another 256 megs of ram in your pc and let the swapfile do it's own thing.

Originally posted by Sheriff Q:
    <STRONG>Now for your original question:
    Also, if it's just the shortcuts you want to show up for all users, just logon as the admin, and move them from c:\Docs and Settings\administrator\start menu\programs to c:\docs and settings\all users\start menu\programs</STRONG>
    To make these moved shortcuts usable, for each Read&execute permissions will have to be granted to the everyone local group; reason being, if they came from the admin profile, only he and local admins will have any access. This can be frustrating if you moved them and didn't make the adjustments, then logged in restricted. You will find the shortcuts, but they wont work. This holds true for all profile items moved from local admin accounts; desktop items, favorites, etc...

Many programs install in only the active profile, some do provide an NT install that permit you to use an all users option for shortcuts, but most require this manipulation.

I hope that helps a little more.