Slow RAS Server

Thread: Slow RAS Server

Post Slow RAS Server

Hope this hasn't been posted before, if so, sorry for asking again.

I have a 2k Server SP2 with lastest updates using windows update and hfnetchk. Server is running RAS and IIS. IIS is just for an FTP site that computers that dial in through to connect to. The problem is that files are transferred extremely slow. Slower than the speed they dial into the server at. I have tried several things on the connection speeds and packet size and stuff with no luck. Server has a 3com PCI 2976 Hardware modem, modems dialing into it range from old ISA 56k USR's to motorola and lucent software modems. All computers dialing in are Win98SE.

Thanks in advance,
    Tony
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Not sure if i am understanding you right, but here goes for one possible explanation....the people that connect in thru your RAS server could have lower transfer speeds for a number of reasons: number of concurrent connections, quality of your phone lines (including the clients neighborhood lines), blah blah blah.

What are you benchmarking your connects and your downloads at?? are you achieving at least 5 kbs/sec? If you are looking for more then that you should get a high speed connect. Hope this helps.

Its one modem in the RAS server so concurrent connections is out. They are connecting at 21,100 most of the time and not transferring anyone near that, and it is not a steady thransfer either. First a couple files get transferred to the FTP site than one file which can range from 500k to 1 meg and that can take up to 20 to 40 minutes to tranfer just that file.

A little backgroud on this. I work for a company tht makes custom software for golf courses to track member handicaps, tournaments and posting scores. The club data file where all their members info is stored at is the 500k to 1 meg file that they tranfer to us either through the above mentioned method or through the internet through their own ISP/broadband service. The way they transfer through the internet transfers at a rate that should be expected, really fast, and the only difference between the 2 code wise is the 3 lines that call the dial up connection to my RAS Server, checks to make sure the connection is established, and then when it is all done, hangs up the phone.

We have ruled phone lines out because we can use our old method of transferring data whjich is PCanywhere with it going at a normal speed.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)