Sony Vaio PCG745 with 2000

Thread: Sony Vaio PCG745 with 2000

Post Sony Vaio PCG745 with 2000

I have a slight problemo here

Got a Sony Vaio PCG 745, currently on win98. No problems there! Windows 2000 reports that some hardware is not compatible... on the report i can handle some stuff, ie usb, iomega bits etc, but SONY CXD1947A i.link (1394) PCI Host Controller isn't supported.

do i need this? I thought PCI host... controlled the PCMCIA sockets..? or is this the firewire controller. Sony are useless as usual...

Does anyone know what this is, or has installed 2k on this l/t? Is there another driver i could use (mobo is INTEL made... unsure of model#)

Any help would be gratefully appreciated....
    A General Protection Error has occured - Time to go home...

Cool

See if you can find out what specific Intel chipset is on the board and go to Intel's site for the latest 2000 drivers.

IEEE 1394 is high speed USB "firewire".

I have a PCG748 that I successfully installed Windows 2000 on. Worked perfectly. No i.Link on that one, tho'. Sony's i.Link is their own proprietary Firewire controller, and I don't think Windows 2000 has drivers for it. If you don't need or use Firewire, then there's no big deal. If you do need Firewire, you can either see if Sony has drivers available, try the drivers from another unit, or buy a PCMCIA Firewire card.

thanks for your words of wisdom.. i'm gonna try it this weekend!

fingers crossed
    A General Protection Error has occured - Time to go home...