[RESOLVED] What have I done? I am asked to enter a Password on boot.

Thread: [RESOLVED] What have I done? I am asked to enter a Password on boot.

GaryO

Resolved [RESOLVED] What have I done? I am asked to enter a Password on boot.

I guess the answer is to reinstall but I thought I would ask the guru's first. Basically every thing was working great sooooooooo I decided to change things. I was attempting to setup my local network so I was in the network area setting up workgroup names, file/print sharing and other....I remember at some point being in an area asking for a usid and password. I just left it at it's default value's which was ...UserId: Administrator ...Password <yikes>... I left blank. So I reboot and am now getting a login screen which is defaulted to Administrator and will not except any kind of password (or blank).
    Just wondering if there is an less painfull way of getting around this problem.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

GaryO

If you go to Control Panel, users and computers, you can most likely untick the box labelled "Users must enter a username and password to user this computer"

That should automatically log your user on at startup time.

Shades, one problem, if you can't login to the computer how do you uncheck that box?

I have been told to use this in case of losing an admin password but have never tried it. I know it works for NT but not sure on 2k

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Red face

Win2K basically makes 2 accounts when installing. The 'first' user account that it asks for in setup, and the Administrator account in the domain. When you boot up and the logon screen comes up, click the 'options' button and make sure you're logging on to your local machine (usually the option that says "this workstation"). Use the original name/pass as when you installed the machine. If you lose the administrator's password and you're on an NTFS partition, you're pretty well screwed. There's no way to get the Admin's password back.
    "What would anybody want with a blind dog?"

Reinstall. I came into the same problem a while back. When installing Win2k you should always leave the "Require username and password to login" box blank during setup. This allows you to get in after the initial install. You can always change it after you are in and setup a backup admin account just in case you get locked out.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein