How to remove NTFS from hard drive?

Thread: How to remove NTFS from hard drive?

Hybrid View

Cool How to remove NTFS from hard drive?

GRRRRRRRRRR!!! I've got a Western Digital 6.4 gig hard drive that I absolutely cannot get the NTFS file system off of. I would like to reinstall Windows ME on this drive but I keep hitting a brick wall with NTFS. Any ideas???? Thanks in advance

------------------

WildTech
    I need a vacation!
    WildTech
    Unless your the lead dog, the view never changes!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WildTech:
    GRRRRRRRRRR!!! I've got a Western Digital 6.4 gig hard drive that I absolutely cannot get the NTFS file system off of. I would like to reinstall Windows ME on this drive but I keep hitting a brick wall with NTFS. Any ideas???? Thanks in advance

</font>
    Well, not 30 minutes ago I dumped one by booting to a W98 Floppy, run Fdisk, delete non-dos partition, make new partition, and format it....

------------------
    Men's view of Women: All your sex are belong to us...
    Women's view of Men: All your attention, time, and money are belong to us....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Mustang

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sowulo:
    Well, not 30 minutes ago I dumped one by booting to a W98 Floppy, run Fdisk, delete non-dos partition, make new partition, and format it....

</font>
    Same here.
    Booted with a 98se boot disk and fdisk
    no problem

------------------
    Perception: Our day in, day out world is real.

Reality: That world is a hoax, an elaborate deception spun by all powerful machines of artificial intelligence that control us.

The New Microsoft: All Your Monies Are Belong To Us

CDBUKGO

If you are unable to fdisk the drive, you can boot off the W2K CD, at the setup menu, hit R for repair, on second screen, hit C for recovery console. It will prompt which installation you want to log on to and then it prompts for admin password, it will take you to the systemroot. There type in;
    format [drive:] /fs:fat32

Well, thats how I normally do it too. However this time, no go!! I can't even get this drive to boot to a Win98 disk now. I used EZ-drive, as a last ditch effort, and copied another disk to it with Win Me on it. Immediately after, it booted to ME one time. I setup some drivers and rebooted. The machine came back up in Win2000!!!!! No trace of ME...........NONE!! No trace of any dual boot files...........nothing. What gives????????????

Any other ideas???? Thanks

------------------

WildTech
    I need a vacation!
    WildTech

FooL

Talking

Craftsman brand sledge-hammer?!

No, really. I had a problem like this trying to go from NT 4.0 to Win 95. NTFS didn't want to let go. Fdisk and format over and over again. Also, do the FDISK /mbr to wipe the Master Boot Record.

FDisk, rinse and repeat. (and if that doesn't work......sledge-hammer) Happy Troubleshooting.

------------------
    Did you reboot the computer yet?

Cool

hehehe Thanks FooL. I've been giving the hammer some serious thought. Right now I'm in the process of low level formatting this puppy. Lets see if NTFS can survive the old "write the drive to all zeros" tactic.....

Tried that too CDBUKGO. No joy!! Thanks for the tip though

------------------

WildTech
    I need a vacation!

[This message has been edited by WildTech (edited March 17, 2001).]
    WildTech

BWissman

No one has suggested this yet,
    but it has worked for me...
    Boot Win2k CD. Reinstall (Not repair) Win2k Pro, delete partition within setup and format fat32. After install reformat. Hope that helps.

jpo

There's nothing like a big-as* magnet. I know, I've tried. I have had to resort to this extreme measure acoupla times.

------------------
    [text]It's European, it wouldn't fit[/text]

LagMonster

If the low level format doesn't work goto one of huge car wrecking places where they those big *** car magnets(these babies can lift a few thousand pounds) and stick your Harddrive on it.

That'll show Win2k whos boss.

Cool

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The low level format took care of it. Geezzzzzzz, I've never had Win2K do that to me before. Sound like its not all that uncommon though. Thanks again for the help.

------------------

WildTech
    I need a vacation!
    WildTech