[RESOLVED] W2K network logon

Thread: [RESOLVED] W2K network logon

gmbruin

Post W2K network logon

Okay, my appologies to everyone if this sounds like a stupid question, but here goes:
    W2K has run fine on this computer fine for a while now, but suddenly it dropped out the network card I think b/c when I boot the machine the logon screen comes up without the domain name so, when I enter the adminstrators name and password, it won't log me on. Plus, there's no way of circumventing a network connection so you can trouble shoot the network problem. All you get is that stupid logon screen. Someone please tell me what I can do to logon and use this computer again.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Caddarn

Check that you're not set to log on locally instead of onto the domain. If all else fails there must be a local (machine specific) Administrator account, so see if you can get hold of that and have a look at the network card in dev. mgr. Also, the machine might have been removed from the domain.

Hope these help some.

Cad

------------------
    ------------------------------------------
    *hits himself repeatedly with a BNC crimping tool and runs off howling*

b4uc1i81

Logon locally, with the local Admin name & password, and rejoin the PC to the domain.

------------------
    "Any" key? What "Any Key?"

gmbruin

I guess this is my dilema, no matter what user name or password I put into the log on screen I can't log on - at all. I have a default administrator id and password that I use on the network, but it doesn't work on this machine, nor does any user name or password. in Win98 you could by pass the log on and then make whatever changes to the workstation or network set up you wanted, but with W2K you can't do anything if you can't log on.

Thanks to everyone's input so far, but I still need help.
    Thanks!

gmbruin

Cool

Hi Again everyone,
    Okay, so I've solved this problem and thought I'd post how to in case anyone else comes across this problem. If you haven't converted your W2K system to NTFS and still have FAT32 you can make a system disk, boot from the floopy to get to a command prompt. Then go to the /windows (or WinNT)/system32/config directory and find a file called "sam" (no extension). Rename the SAM file to "Sam_Save" just in case you need it again, then reboot without the floppy. This should let you log on locally and then you can change any computer / network properties that caused the problem initially.

Thanks to every one for their input!