[RESOLVED] W2K Shutdown Problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] W2K Shutdown Problems

Obley_Wan

Resolved [RESOLVED] W2K Shutdown Problems

Ugh!
    Ok, I am reaching for anything that could be useful here...

I have installed Windows 2000 on my computer and have ran it flawlessly for months. I took my PC to a LAN party and it failed to boot up correctly. After making sure all RAM and cards were seated correctly I gave up and installed ME so I could play for the day. After returning home I reinstalled W2K. Instillation gave me no problems as usual, but once I logged in for the first time and updated a driver or installed a program it would not shutdown correctly. Sometimes it shuts down lickity split (like it used to) others it takes 10 - 15 minutes. Then there are the times it won't shut down at all yet I cant open any new apps because a 'shutdown has been activated'.

I have reinstalled many times, with plug-n-play OS on and off. With IRQ's assigned to the two PCI slots and them set to auto. I have installed with my USB devices plugged in and without them plugged in.

Even without updating any drivers or installing apps it happens.

I am flat out of ideas, I surely hope someone here has seen or heard or even read about something similar to this. I have spent a lot of time on the MS KB searching for ACPI problems, known W2k shutdown problems. I haven't read anything that matches. I have even tried things that have the slightest remote possibility of being a match.

It's not like the W98 shutdown problems, this is worse.

I can install ME and 98se just fine. Not a single problem.

Here are my PC Specs:
    • Asus CUSL2 ACPI enabled BIOS rev 1003
    • PIII 800EB
    • 256 MB RAM
    • GeForce 2 MX (AGP)
    • Sound Blaster Live Value
    • 3Com 3C905B-TX
    • USB optical mouse
    • USB MS Game voice

I have my NIC in PCI slot 4
    Sound in PCI slot 6
    All other slots are empty

Now as far as resource conflicts my mobo manual states:
    • AGP shares IRQ with onboard VGA (disabled in BIOS)
    • PCI slot 4 shares IRQ with CNR LAN (no onboard LAN installed and the CNR is not in use)
    • PCI slot 6 is not shared with anyting

MS states this about resource sharing and PCI Steering:

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q252/4/20.ASP

If you have ANY ideas please please please share them with me.

Try opening task manager for open apps. Try shutting down one app manually and then shut down. Keep trying this with the other apps til you find the problem. Then reinstall app.
    Hope this helps.
    Must not strangle users. Repeat. Must not strangle users.

Obley_Wan

Wink

The problem is I have no apps running when I go to shutdown. unless its a service that is causing it to hang.. hmm....

thanks for the thought

any other ideas?

prezmcmahon

Talking

Have you tried a reinstall now that you moved your NIC? Also..try pulling that pci cards...install win2k..then install them one at a time to see if they are the issue.

prez

prezmcmahon

Red face

the pci cards...not THAT pci cards

Obley_Wan

Arrow

Yes, I have reinstalled clean since the NIC has moved, and since I unplugged the USB devices

I have yet to try installing with out the Sound or NIC cards installed. I wil try that next

Still stuck, any other ideas???

as always...you should try removing everything but the essentials and do a fresh install...ie HD,mem,proc,cd,vid...get things running nice and stable and then start adding hardware...sounds to me like you have a goofy driver somewhere or as suggested earlier a service that is not shutting down properly
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

Obley_Wan

Smile

I Just want to Thank Y'all for the ideas and thoughts. I removed my sound card and USB devices and did yet another clean install. Then plugged in everything but my sound card. The machine runs great.

So now I add my sound card, and it seems to be ok this time. 1 small detail. I cant get the sound card to install.

I guess I should take this to the soundcard board now....

Again, thanks for your help