[RESOLVED] Win2k and Start > Programs menu oddities

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win2k and Start > Programs menu oddities

Krank

Unhappy Win2k and Start > Programs menu oddities

I have a problem with Win2k. First some specs...
    Asus P2B, 256m ram, GeForce 1, Win2k SP1

This problem occurs in the Start -> Programs menu in two ways.

First when I move a program’s folder into another one via the Start menu (e.g. WinAmp folder to a “Audio” folder I created) I get the message it will affect other users, then I get a “Cannot move x: Destination folder is the same as the source folder” message ever time. I get a similar message for moving files.

The other way is when I double click on a folder within the Start -> Programs menu. I get these results:

1. Asks me where I want to move the selected items with a “Browse for Folder” window.
    2. Clicking cancel brings up a where I would like to copy the selected items via a “Browse for Folder”
    3. Clicking cancel brings up this window: “E:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu, Programs\Office”
    “This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.”

After I click okay the window does reveal itself.

Questions:

What is preventing the normal menu and double-clicking operations and what can I do to fix?
    Should my current users’s folder open up or the one for all users?

TIA

Brent

OK
    Your problem with "affecting all users" is linked to the specification of your "Profiles" - Documents and Settings. You have settings which are placing files in "All Users" folder. I would expect a set-up which had an Admin user using the administrator folder, or other local user folders. If you make adjustments which are recorded in "All Users" they will apply to "All Users"

As for the opening file/folder problems, have you thought of cleaning/replacing/recallibrating you mouse?

Good luck

There are two parts to the start menu (same wit hthe desktop and some other settings)
    first thier is your profile
    second there is ALL USERS profile
    when something is installed to the ALL USERS profile, when you delete it - it affects all users.
    If it is installed on your profile, then when removed, it affects yours

Krank

Well, more on the story. I've traced what goes on to the I.E. 6 beta I forgot I installed before. I worked around different fixes to see what could be going on. If I boot from the Win2k CD and perform a Manual repair the problem goes away. Two things happen however, one being system files older than SP1 get copied over and two Outlook Express complains about a missing .dll. I thought reinstalling SP1 would fix the OE problem, but it did not. The only way I found to get Outlook Express back was to reinstall IE 6 beta. That got OE working, but brought the problems back.

I can live with the problem for the time being in hopes that the bug will go away with the final release of IE 6.

Is there a safe way to go back to IE 5.5 without too much trouble?

TIA, Brent