[RESOLVED] Upgrading Windows 98SE to Windows 2000 Professional

Thread: [RESOLVED] Upgrading Windows 98SE to Windows 2000 Professional

NT-KERNELL

Unhappy Upgrading Windows 98SE to Windows 2000 Professional

Hi people ! I need your help please ! I own a
    Hewlett-Packard Pavilion PC 6540C (North American model) . I want to upgrade it from Windows 98SE to Windows 2000 Professional .
    I went to the Microsoft Windows 2000 page and I downloaded the READINESS-ANALYZER .
    I activated it to check my system and it found out some compatibility problems .
    One of them is with my MODEM a ROCKWELL HCF 56K Data Fax PCI Riptide modem by CONEXANT .
    It wouldn't work under Windows 2000 .
    Where can I find the correct driver for that MODEM to become compatible with Windows 2000?
    Hewlett-Packard doesn't support upgrading a Pavilion home computer to Windows 2000 .
    My modem is also my SOUND CARD .
    I also need a keyboard driver for my multimedia keyboard that came with my Pavilion computer .
    Hewlett-Packard warned me if I upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows 2000 Professional and things go wrong, I won't be able to reinstall Windows 98 SE from the RECOVERY CD that came with my computer if I change from
    FAT32 to NTFS !!! Is that true????
    My computer has 96MB SDRAM memory, 466MHz Intel Celeron porcessor and 10.2GB hard drive

Any help will be appreciated !! Thanks

Exclamation

Drivers for your Pavilion model are located here:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindex...8818_swen.html

For Riptide Win2000 drivers, go here:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/persona...naw2k.exe.html

I'm not familiar with the FAT32 versus NTFS issue. But I suppose that it is possible.

Anyway, if you're still missing something, let us know...Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

The recovery cd should work fine if you repartition your hard drive with a 98 boot disk first back to fat32.

Best option here is to use Ghost2001, and place the image on a CDRW. Hopefully you have one.
    1. To upgrade to Win2K you have to run Winnt32.exe in the I386 folder.
    2. You can change the filing system to NTFS during installation , or later by running the "convert" command (located in the Windows 2000 help file in the Start Menu), but once you do there's no going back, without FDISK and reformatting back to FAT32.

Win2K is great. I don't come across many who dislike it.

Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!

Talking

Forget upgrading...just make a backup of your data, then format/install 2k. The person who told you the restore cd won't work is full of it, but then again you shouldn't need to go back once you have 2k installed. You also should make the 4 Win 2k install/boot disks before you start. It is always a good idea to keep them around when installing.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Jaybare

Thumbs up

Kill this virus you have call ME. clean install better PC.