Dial-up password not saved correctly

Thread: Dial-up password not saved correctly

Question Dial-up password not saved correctly

This is weird, but it consistently happens on every Win2K computer that I've set up. I set up a dial-up connnection to the ISP (which happens to be us - running Red Hat Linux 5.2). No PAP, no CHAP, just a standard UNIX logon, which requires a terminal window to log in or the use of a script. I can get the dial-up connection to work just fine and configure it to use the "Generic Login" script that's included with Win2K. But here's the weird part - if I check the box to save the password, then the next time the dial-up connection is brought up the password is wrong. The password is displayed as all asterisks (like normal) but its 16 characters long. The password that I typed in was only 3 characters. If I go ahead and try to connect with the 16-digit password, the connection fails. If, before clicking connect, I go ahead and delete the 16-digit password and re-type the correct 3-digit password, the connection is successful. Our webadmin says that it appears that the Win2K machine is attempting to start PPP (autoPPP) instead of letting our server initiate PPP. It seems strange that PPP problems are caused by an incorrect password.

Has anyone seen this behavior in Win2K? So far, we only have one customer using our internet service with Win2K and he has the re-type the password every time. I'm very impressed with Win2K and would like to recommend it to our customers, but this little issue is kind of annoying.

TIA,

Steve

------------------
    Steve Taylor - Service Manager
    www.altoplanos.net
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho USA
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

Lightbulb

I've read somewhere on this forum, that the 16* are a security feature, so no-one knows how long you password is.. Mines the same, but as for you not been able to log on I've got no idea.. I have no problem even with the extra ****

I think you're right, BoB01. I kind of figured that the password appeared longer for security purposes. Unfortunately, it also changes something about the way that the username and password is being handed off to our server that causes the login to fail. Thanks for the reply.

Anybody else have an idea for a work-around?

Steve

------------------
    Steve Taylor - Service Manager
    Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

Noodle

I've seen the exact same password conversion you are talking about on two different win2000 machines ... it only puts in an incorrect password when using a logon script ... I tried everything to resolve this, and I am now convinced that it is a win2000 glich ... get with it Microsoft!

Me too. I have a client with the same problem--lots of saved **** but logon requires retyping the password. I could sure use a solution if anyone comes up with one.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

madmax222

seem to remember somethign about win nt4 started to use encrypted passwords that werent liked by linux boxes, then i remember something about win2k using kerberos authentication, and that microsoft 'improved' it by themselves and then didnt tell anyone and that it is causing some major headaches...hmmm...think about that one
    and yes, the 16* are always there to mask password, irrespective of password lenght

shanff

if there's any way to tell it to use plain text passwords like ther is in winnt 4, that will be what you want to use. i am not to sure about the options as i am not at my 2k box right now.

perkinsr

Lightbulb

See if you can modify the "Generic Login" script to include the users Login ID and password. Perhaps use the NET LOGIN command.

perkinsr

Lightbulb

See if you can modify the "Generic Login" script to include the users Login ID and password. Perhaps use the NET LOGIN command.

perkinsr

Lightbulb

perkinsr

Lightbulb

See if you can modify the "Generic Login" script to include the users actual Login ID and password. Or, perhaps use the NET LOGIN command.

perkinsr

Lightbulb

See if you can modify the "Generic Login" script to include the users actual Login ID and password. Or, perhaps use the NET LOGIN command.

perkinsr

Lightbulb