[RESOLVED] Windows 2000 server [User Groups]
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows 2000 server [User Groups]

derrick

Resolved [RESOLVED] Windows 2000 server [User Groups]

Hey I hope somone can help.

At my dads work, they just got a new network setup very cheap. The thing is. The network is way to slow on bootup.

When they first turn there computers on. After the windows 2000 splash screen, it goes into the Setting up Network blah blah then it says Applying user settings, now when it does this it takes 30 mins to get to the login prompt. Then another 10 mins to login. Now when you try to change any settings on the work station then reboot. The settings never changed, its back how it was before it was changed. Now what I think it is. Is Group Policy, User environment.

If so how do I disable this on the server?
    The machines are a 1ghz p3, 10/100 basetx network.

Any ideas?

------------------
    Stop bustin my chops!
    Ill do it!

Lowland

Here's an idea...

LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!

If they have network and it don't work, let them react to the Users complaints and hire a professional to fix it.

If they choose not to, or the Users don't follow complaints procedures, it's their problem!!

Even a "cheap" [highly subjective] network will log who does what. You want your dad to get in trouble by fiddling with the internals?? I think not!!

Get your dad to ask his Company to post here if they need help.......

------------------
    Politicians are like nappies (diapers!) - they need to be changed regularly, and for exactly the same reason.

Come visit <a href="http://www.lowlandgroup.co.uk" target="_blank">www.lowlandgroup.co.uk</a> and see what we do - jump to a Dumfries community site from us

derrick

Check it,

They just started this company, and it opens today. Well they dont have a network admin. So everyone there is the admin. They dont care for one right now. But for it to be this slow is ****. So it sounds likes all you wanna bee techs dont know **** and cant even fix this.

My dad is the second person in charged. There are only 10 people here. And they all do the network stuff if they know how. So they asked if I could figure it out, and I said I could try. So I want to find out more about this before I try and screw it up. You sound like you dont know **** so dont reply to a post if you dont have any helpful information.

------------------
    Stop bustin my chops!
    Ill do it!

derrick

Any ways I found how to fix it, so shove it. And I am now part of his team and thats why im posting dip****.

------------------
    Stop bustin my chops!
    Ill do it!

Ya_know

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Lowland:
    Here's an idea...

LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!
    </font>
    Come on guys, we gotta try and help out. All that matters is that this may be his network now.

What do you know about the guys that set this thing up, meaning what was their agenda? Did they set this thing up and walk away, or are they providing continued support?

Do you have administrative access to the server?

------------------

Ya_know

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by derrick:
    Any ways I found how to fix it, so shove it. And I am now part of his team and thats why im posting dip****.

</font>
    Hey bud, don't let one bad reply bend you out of shape. We are all here to help, sometimes things get said.

I certainly would love to know what you found, and would implore you to share your solution!

------------------

derrick

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Ya_know:
    Hey bud, don't let one bad reply bend you out of shape. We are all here to help, sometimes things get said.

I certainly would love to know what you found, and would implore you to share your solution!

</font>

thanx,

nah what happened was this guy came in to setup 10 computers (win 2k pro) and 1 server (win2k server) then he left. He didnt configure anything. They got screwed. So Im trying to help them out for the company to get going. (im doing this for free)

Im ok with the server side but I really dont know much about this User grouip policy thing. Having the server manage the users envirnment.

------------------
    Stop bustin my chops!
    Ill do it!

Ya_know

To be honest, there is alot to learn with group policies, start here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...groupsteps.asp

Additionally, tell us more about the setup of the server, and what you know about the users logins. Are they using Active directory, or user manager?

When you said that changes are made, but then with the next login they default to the way they were, agreed it could have something to do with group polices, but it could be roaming profiles too. Try to invistigate as much as you can. If you can contact the dude that setup this network, do so, and get any support or explaination you can from him as to how he setup these profiles/policies.

What is the structure of the network as well, cabling, NIC's, hub/switch/router, and what does the server do, DHCP, Domain control? What else does it do? How (if they do) do they get to the Internet?

Take it one step at a time, but try to disclose anything you can find. I know very little about 2K server, but have grown very comfortable with Pro. I also have some strengths with NT4 server, but I hope we can get some others involved here, that way you can clear up this problem quickly. Since it isn't making any money for you or your fathers company right now...

------------------

derrick

Windows 2000 server
    10 Windows 2000 Workstations

2 3com 10/100 basetx switchs (16 port each)

everyone is on static IP (admin couldnt get dhcp to work)

the cable is thru out the walls, was there from a company who owned the building before them.

The server is the PDC server and going to be the Mail server. Theres 2 shotgun external 3com modems for internet right now until they get Verizon down next week for sdsl. (t1 speed dsl)

There running User manager

------------------
    Stop bustin my chops!
    Ill do it!

[This message has been edited by derrick (edited October 02, 2001).]

Ya_know

In user manager for domains, is there anything setup for the users under the profile option/user profile path? That will let you know if the profile is roaming...

Edit: are the switches connected correctly together? Are there any problems on the network, once the workstations login? In other words, do you see problems only during the boot up of every PC, and then initial login, or throughout all network activity...

Sorry for all of the questions. I am hoping someone will chime in with some good ideas, once we spell out the current setup...
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by Ya_know (edited October 02, 2001).]

Hi ya,
    gees I thought my setup was slow to boot 2 min, let alone 30 min...
    you said it will be the mail server, correct.
    Are you running exchange yet, exchange and dns have an issue if they are not configured correctly, and then your boot up will take ages and internet access takes forever as well. If you have these thing set up try to disable one of them in services and see how you go...

I'll follow this post and see if I can help furter down the track.

good luck.

Yosh.

------------------
    It was like that when I got here! pig's a$$.
    It was like that when I got here!_ _ _ ___ _ _ _ pig's a$$.

derrick

Server is only used as a pdc and gateway server.

Its only slow when it boots and logins. After the workstations are loaded there fast. Copying and mapping work fine.

------------------
    Stop bustin my chops!
    Ill do it!

Lowland

Sorry I upset you!!! If you re-read you'll see all I was concerned with was your dad not getting into trouble.

Anyway, I reckon you described your problem when you said about DHCP. It's likely that the delay is caused because your machines are having trouble resolving the IP addresses to machines. Don't know what other switches or hubs or routers you have, but if the machines are having problems with addresses or protocols, this could be it.

If the previous admins couldn't get DHCP working, they may have DNS or WINS running and configured wrongly. So, you are using aliases for the boxes (Machine1, Machine2, or whatever) and if it's difficult to resolve, there will be delays

Hope this helps

------------------
    Politicians are like nappies (diapers!) - they need to be changed regularly, and for exactly the same reason.

Come visit <a href="http://www.lowlandgroup.co.uk" target="_blank">www.lowlandgroup.co.uk</a> and see what we do - jump to a Dumfries community site from us

Ya_know

I thought it interesting when you said to access the internet they used 2 shotgun external 3com modems to get to the Internet. Can they access the web without Problems? Would this apply: <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q159/1/68.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=slow&rnk=19&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SR CH&SPR=WIN2000" target="_blank">Multiple Default Gateways Can Cause Connectivity Problems</a>

I am glad to see Lowland back. It looks like he may have hit on something. You have to go over everything that last guy did with WINS, DNS, and DHCP. This should keep you busy.

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q307/3/14.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=DNS%20and%20WINS&rnk=61&src=DHCS _MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000" target="_blank">How To: Install WINS on Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2000 Advanced Server</a>

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q291/3/82.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=DNS%20and%20WINS&rnk=47&src=DHCS _MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000" target="_blank">Frequently Asked Questions About Windows 2000 DNS</a>

------------------

derrick

Well, after you logged in and everything is being displayed Its fine. They can go out to the internet no problem. Fast well to 56k modems isnt fast but they do get 12k a sec like isdn. I think Im going to have to setup dhcp, maybe the other admin did somthing when he tryed it and it failed.

But the one thing is, When I go on a workstation, there NIC cars are set to Hardware Default not 100 Full deplux or even Auto Select. Now I tryed changing it to 100 full duplex and then went into the settings for IPX and change Auto Select to 802.3

After I reboot then log back in all the settings are back before I changed any thing, so it doesnt save any changes onthe workstations.

------------------
    Stop bustin my chops!
    Ill do it!