[RESOLVED] Help w/PackdBell CD rom

Thread: [RESOLVED] Help w/PackdBell CD rom

NeedHelp

Unhappy Help w/PackdBell CD rom

I have a 2nd hand Packard Bell 486dx-66 w/no documentation. It's been working fine, crashed, & I reformatted. But now the sound care won't work and the CD rom is connected to the sound card. The sound card is an Aztech Lab Nova16E (FCC ID: ?????811) and I had to disconnect it to be able to see the documentation on the sound card. When I plugged it back up, it no longer works. I can't figure out how to fix it. I didn't change any of the jumper settings because it was working fine before. I have downloaded and tried every updated driver/pkg. that you can think of but nothing works. I checked to make sure the pins on the connector were at pin 1, etc. Still it doesn't work.
    The CD rom is Panasonic CR563 model (FCC: IU09TB008CRB) When it tries to load when booting, I get the message that the device driver could not be found and then "the device or CD rom is not connected". I don't know what to do.
    Someone pls. help!

Exclamation

Did this to a customer's computer by accident once. That CD won't work until you get the correct drivers for the sound card -- the CD controller is enabled through software, plus the card requires a real-time (dos) driver to work. Try going to the PB site and looking for the recovery disks for your machine. That and CD-ROM God were the only way I got it up again......
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. "

- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

In your config.sys
    where it says your cdrom.sys file
    have it read something like this
    DEVICE=C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:IDECD000 /P:300
    The /P:300 references your port for the sound card.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

Exclamation

I agree with you Eagle, but in those old PB's the sound card has to be initialized first. That CD-ROM is not DOS compatable, and requires a proprietary interface (on the sound card) to run. Hence, the config.sys settings won't help until the sound card is running.
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. "

- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

NeedHelp

Talking

Thanks so much. It's working! I had already tried CDRom God with no luck. However, the setup disk from Packard Bell worked. I can't believe how long this took. I had been to PB web page before but I was looking for my PC via S/N and they had never heard of it. I wasn't aware of their "setup" disks. That is so ridiculous that I had to dig that hard for something that should have been easily available. Packard Bell PC's are on my X-list. No wonder they're always cheaper than other brands. You truly get what you pay for!!!
    (yes, I'm bitter---smile.)

NeedHelp

Thumbs down

I'm back! Well, my PC worked for about an hour. I was trying to install Win 98 when the PC hung during the first restart. I got a blue screen with an error message:

"A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C1C025C0 in VXD mssndsys(07) + 00000000."

Can't go any further. Pls. help again.

Darren Wilson

sounds like windows is not detecting the correct default safe drivers for the sound card...hmmmmmmmmm.... you have a bit of a dilemma here, try removing the sound card & see if windows goes in , but if you do that then you will have no cd-rom. The Aztech Nova is not direct x 5 compatable ( not without new drivers )so this looks to be teh most sensible answer. You could buy a new SOund card such as a SB16 or another ISA card and a new IDE CD-ROM drive or stick with windows 95 as the CR-563 is a proprietary 2x Panasonic Matsu****a drive which is a bit slow to run anything on nowadays unfortunatly. Also I noticed that the system is a 486 DX266, you are going to be waiting a long time for anything to happen if you run win98 on it. If you have 32mb of RAM then you can comfortably run win95 on it. I would consider upgrading what you can on the system ( which isn't going to be a lot unfortunatly ) or trade it in towards a more modern system if you want to run anything on it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is better to tell the truth than to flog a dead horse. Sorry

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????
    visit me @ http://www.ace-computers.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited October 10, 1999).]

Copy the Win98 directory to your hard drive first.
    Then you could remove the reference to your sound card, and set up windows from the hard drive.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.