[RESOLVED] Implementing security in my Win 2000 Pro ...

Thread: [RESOLVED] Implementing security in my Win 2000 Pro ...

Ainner

Resolved [RESOLVED] Implementing security in my Win 2000 Pro ...

I'm configuring Win 2000 for my client and I would like to be able to apply some serious security that would stop them from installing program of all kind. Here is an exemple of my problem :

1) My client are using Lotus Notes in the directory C:\appwin\notes

If I want them to be able to use notes they must be able to READ/WRITE/MODIFY in this directory...

Now even if I apply read only attribute to the root (C), my client will still be able to install programs like MIRC or ICQ in the Notes directory and use it !

I'm looking for a solution

Also, fell free to give me www adress who is giving great information about directory security.

Look into creating policies.
    To each his/her own.

you take away their ability to install programs then through the local policy editor. directory/file permissions and just the beginning of what you can do, there is so much more. www.labmice.net and www.windows2000mag.com is another good source and a good magazine. I would start there.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

try using Crowd Control, if you want to hide some program, desktop, menu, etc. This is configurable and easy to use. Look in www.download.com and seach for it.
    WARNING
    :: I am NOT held responsible for any damages on your coumputer. ::

Ainner

Local policy doesn't give me a lot of way to stop user installing program like Mirc and using it ... I checked in the registry to try to block a normal user but there are still major hole ... I'm still looking for a solution...