[RESOLVED] Trouble with a Raite 1.08H DVD drive

Thread: [RESOLVED] Trouble with a Raite 1.08H DVD drive

http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum1/noncgi

Thumbs down Trouble with a Raite 1.08H DVD drive

OK Ladies & Gentlemen, here is one that has me going nuts.

I bought a Raite 8X DVD drive recently, and I'm using winDVD 2000 with a Abit Siluro GF2 MX board to play back the DVD's.

The movies are choppy and lock up no more than 10 minutes (if that) into playback. Hard lockup, nothing short of a hardware reset will reboot the system.

1 time out of 5 the DVD movies will playback well enough that they won't lock up anytime in the movie, but it's still fairly choppy. (but at least viewable)

Question to all the DVD experts out there:

Have you heard of this drive?
    Had the same results?
    Know of a fix?

If not, what do folks recommend for a RELIABLE playback solution?

I was looking at the creative labs Encore 12X DVD with the Dxr3 decoder card.

My system info: (to the best of memory-- I'm at work)

AMD Duron 800
    MSI K7A-2 MB (I think it has the apollo 133A chipset.)Flashed to latest BIOS.

ABIT Siluro GF2 MX 32MB with latest BIOS

384 MB RAM
    Win 98SE (fresh install as of last night)
    Nothing installed except Nvidia detonator 12 drivers, VIA 4in1 driver 1431.

Running in 4X AGP mode.
    Apereture set to 64MB, but I've tried 32MB andd 128MB with no change in results.

Everything else works great. Games, business software, etc. Just the DVD is locking up.

Any comments would be appreciated.

The ABIT drivers can be found here (although the ones you are using are probably better), it wouldn't hurt to try the drivers they recommend. Here is the page: http://www.abit.com.tw/ You could also try DirectX 8.0a , if you haven't already. Hope this helps.

Thumbs up

I think that is the same drive i have....is an 8X/40X?? Well anyways, i had the same trouble with mine. what worked for me was enabling DMA under device manager using windows ME. It also worked with win98se, but not sure about any other OS's, but that took care of my problem..