Odd modem problem

Thread: Odd modem problem

Post Odd modem problem

Client installed winmodem (3com)
    Worked fine for a while.
    Suddenly he's getting 'an error was reported by 3cmlink.exe' or something like that.
    Modem doesn't respond to query from device manager.
    No events reported in events viewer, watson gives a VERY long stackdump type log. I'll post up the error section if anyone can decypher.
    Pulled modem and replaced it with a supraexpress 56k internal. Modem responds to query in device manager but won't dial because 'no dailtone detected'.
    The phone line is fine.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
    What does this button do?

Stupid Question, did you update the drivers for the (umm) winmodem... I know none of us can stand them. I have had a few that I had put in and pulled out and updated the driver for, and still had to fight with it.
    Would you Like Batteries with that?

So far i've only tried the supraexpress replacement. The fact that it responds to a query where the winmodem did not and the fact that it used to work and then suddenly fell over suggested a hardware fault. I've not had too much experience with win2k and winmodem problems (probably 'cause i haven't messed about with 2k that much) although searching this board seems to suggest that the win2k compatibility seal of approval is a bit premature for most winmodems.

The supraexpress reporting no dial tone is the problem.
    Client is talking about buying a USB external modem anyway, so it's just a 'curiosity fix' at the moment.

Darren Wilson

Had same prob with a supraexpress when I first went 2K. Downloaded latest drivers from Diamond and prob was solved. Turned out the old drivers still used the generic Win2K drivers for the Rockwell HCF modems. Also if this an upgrade of 2K over an exisiting OS, delete all DUN entries and re-add them as this also can cause the same problem.

install was from scratch.
    I looked at the diamond website and used the initialisation string suggested. Now the supra actually gets a dial tone and dials. Unfortunately no connection is established.

Problem 'could have been since i tried to send the fax with winfax' says client.....

Uninstalled winfax. Putting the 3com modem back in later to see if it works.
    I'll DL the drivers anyway, client not so keen to buy USB modem just to see if it would work.
    Ah well, I wasn't making anything on this anyhow it's a friend of the family.

It may be that the drivers are not the correct type for Win2K and thus unable to communicate properly with the modem in some but not all aspects.

Resolved the problem by installing the supraexpress pro driver found on windrivers and disabling the voice component.

No idea why this should work where the official driver doesn't but it reenforces my faith that windrivers can pretty much fix anything.