neet help setting up home network

Thread: neet help setting up home network

Post neet help setting up home network

Hi all, thanks for dropping by.

I need help to setup a home network usnig a 10 base T network hub. I went to some sites that have info on setting up but not for windows 2000.

the network is for computer to computer and also adsl internet sharing too.

thanks in advance
    No one cares how hard you worked,
    they want result!

[quote]Originally posted by Worldsci:
    <strong>...I need help to setup a home network usnig a 10 base T network hub...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dude,.. I hope you don't want to do a whole lot of data transfer. I had my home network setup on a 10 base T hub, and it was slower than slow.

Anyway, here's how it goes:
    1) One PC should be setup as a server. It will need a NIC (network card for LAN access) and a modem (for WAN access.)
    2) One PC should be setup as a client (standard desktop PC.) This PC should should also have a NIC installed.
    3) Plug the server into one port, and the client into another port on the hub.
    4) Now that they're connected, you have to setup some things on each of the PC's. Both PC's should have Client for Microsoft networking, File and Print sharing, and TCP/IP all installed (there's lots of other stuff too, but this will get you started.) Make sure both PC's have the same workgroup name.
    5) And presto, that should be it. Make sure to give each PC some kind of name to identify it on the network. And on the server, go into user manager, and add names and passwords and permissions and blah blah blah.
    Hello World

hi, it's mainly for internet sharing and abit of data transfter (from a laptop).

thanks for you guild but I need to know how to do that stuff.

I don't know the following:

1)
    where to find TCP/IP setting or add/remove protoco in windows 2000

2)
    what about DSN setting? I knwo that if you set the DSN some where >200 (or something)in the first 3 field, people on the net can access your local network (ie HDD)
    they want result!

hi, i got the internet working but i still need help with sharing computer stuff (computer to computer)
    they want result!