[RESOLVED] Error in IE5.0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Error in IE5.0

PBase001

Resolved [RESOLVED] Error in IE5.0

When attempting to send a lnik via Tools > Mail and News > Send a Link....
    from IE 5.0, I get the following error,

---
    An error occurred while attempting to open the Windows Address Book.

MAPI 1.0 (00000220)
    ---

Same error appears when I try to send page.

On another machine with the same version of IE there was no problems. Both
    machines using Windows 2000 Pro.

Recently we added a Exchange Server 5.5, Service Pack 3, if that will help. Thanks.

QSECOFR

Maybe try upgrading to IE 5.5 with the latest service pack. See if that helps.

------------------
    I wish they had Doom for OS/400...that would be some treat!

PBase001

Was my first thought as well, but someone using the same version of IE, both w/SP1, and didn't have the same problem.

[This message has been edited by PBase001 (edited January 18, 2001).]

take a look in tools, internet options, programs tab and see if the e-mail program selected is the one you actually use.

------------------
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

PBase001

Yep, its using Outlook.

hmmm, lets see, go into outlook, tools, options, mail format tab, settings and see that your mail is set to MIME and encode text is set to none.

------------------

PBase001

I've since upgraded to IE5.5 SP1 and did a repair with Outlook via the MS Office disc. But I get the same problem. I don't see the MIME option in the place you're referring, might be that I'm using the Workgroup or Corperate verison of Outlook, now that we have our Exchange Server online.

Wasn't this (or something close) listed in the bugfix for the IE 5.01 upgrade? I would try that... Also check and see if the Office service packs / updates are installed on one and not the other.
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. "

- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

PBase001

I already upgraded to IE5.5. The only thing I haven't tried is the Office SPs. I'll try it and let you know. The think is, I put both machines together personally, so I know that they have the same config, just one isn't capable of sending links and pages while the other can.

I see... that being the case, I would assume something glitched during installation. Why not just ghost?

QSECOFR

It sounds like you've got a clobbered file. I'd agree with Student. Try Ghost.

------------------
    I wish they had Doom for OS/400...that would be some treat!

mainframe

try this:
    uninstall outlook 2000, uninstall outlook express, reboot.
    rename minet32.dll, minet32.ecf, inetcomm.dll, wab32.dll then reinstall outlook express, reboot.
    close all programs, install outlook, test.

hope this helps.

PBase001

Thanks for the suggestions and I would like to ghost, but the company has enough different computers mixes that ghosting is not an option until a machine is return to be recycle. The person in my position perviously didn't image the machines and I don't want to disrupt people's machines for a new install. We are getting comformity with all new machines, but unfortunately, before I left Friday, another person came to me with the same problem.

Maybe I haven't given enough info. The machines having this problem (including mines) was able to send links and pages before switching from outside ISP email service to internal Exchange Server. A switch over was made to Outlook with each machine from an Internet install to a Workgroup/Corperate install. Everything was fine, except for the inability to send links and pages. And finally, if I didn't make it clear, my apologies, the error is a Outlook error. I'll try the Outlook uninstall and get back. Thanks for all the input so far.

Of course, depending on your security settings and which security updates you have installed, Outlook WON'T send urls as a safety precaution. My wife is a virus magnet, so I constantly install security updates to her Outlook. After the last one ( or maybe the one before ), she pointed out that it was not sending urls.... maybe your problem too?

------------------

QSECOFR

Installing SR1 or SR2 for Office also modifies security settings that cannot be reversed without reinstalling Office. Just be careful. I installed SR1 and I couldn't receive an Access database via email.

------------------
    I wish they had Doom for OS/400...then the day would go much faster!