Win2k Advanced Server & Webserver Services

Thread: Win2k Advanced Server & Webserver Services

Post Win2k Advanced Server & Webserver Services

How easy is it to setuo Webserver services to allow HTTP and FTP access? can anybody help me??

System specs are as follows...

Intel Pentium 3 500 (Slot 1)
    Gigabyte BX2000
    768 (133) Kingston Memory
    1x20Gig Seagate HDD
    1x30Gig Maxtor HDD
    Lite-On 12x Burner
    LG DVD Rom
    32meg TNT2 Video Card
    Sound Blaster 128
    2x Realtek Nic Card
    (Cable Broadband Net Access)

- Would this do?

Thanks in Advance.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Is quite easy through the IIS MMC and terminal services. There are plenty of books and sites with this info. Just make sure you harden your server. Such as remove "everyone" having access to the drives in security, checking permissions on IUSER, have all sp and hotfixes up to date, etc etc etc. Various guides can be found on the net for securing the server. Surprise surprise, IIS (It Is not Secure) and win2k are not secure out of the box. For non-MS solutions I recomend and use FreeBSD. Linux is not as secure as everyone claims and tends to be too unreliable for my tastes.

As far as FTP. Microsofts FTP is okay for a single site, but rots for multiple sites. If you plan on running multiple virtual sites with different people having access to each them look into a third party app. Personally I use ws_FTP server. It is priced resonably and has never given a bit of problems.

As far as your system, it is fine aside from the broadband unless you have static IP. Otherwise you will need to find someone who has a few nameservers and are willing to change the IP when it changes or use a dynamic DNS service. The dynamic DNS service can be found on the net for free. But being free are not the most reliable. In other words if you are going to charge for hosting then you will need a static IP. Also broadband will not handle a heavy traffic site, but will be fine for hobby sites. Also check your ISPs terms of service to make sure they allow web and FTP servers.

Thanks for the help, is there any particular sites i should look at?
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.