Command line command question

Thread: Command line command question

Post Command line command question

Anyone remember what the command for repeating something you've just entered at a command line is? I'm running Win2k and doing some command line stuff in it and hate having to retype the lines I'm working on. In DOS there's a line you put into autoexec.bat so you can repeat something you just typed by pressing F3, but I can't remember what the command is. Hopefully it'll work in Win2k as well. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Perseverance in all matters.

I believe your thinking of DOSKEY.

Yes it is doskey and in W2K I think it is already enabled under the options.
    Almighty Elbatcho Della Vente, Scurge von AOL, Tyrant von NT, Huhn des Schulegeländes, großartiger hinterer Viceroy Admiral der oberen nordöstlichen südlichen Zustand Widder K-Auto Kategorie des bedwetting Auslesesuperschutzes der Eastwestern Grafschaften, des Spam deathlord des Spam'o'knights, des Spacemonkey und des stolzen Inhabers von 250 mindestens meine kleinen Ponies

Thanks guys, DOSKEY it is. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work in Win2k. After entering the command on a FAT32 machine it starts working immediately, and isn't doing so on my Win2k system. Ah well, at least now I remember what the command was. Thanks again.

[quote]Originally posted by Percy:
    <strong>Thanks guys, DOSKEY it is. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work in Win2k. After entering the command on a FAT32 machine it starts working immediately, and isn't doing so on my Win2k system. Ah well, at least now I remember what the command was. Thanks again. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Like WinNT, Win2000 already has the DOSKEY command built into it's command line interpreter, CMD.EXE

Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to work your way around.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Oh weird. Okay, is there a difference between the command prompt that's brought up using "command" from run and "cmd"? Cuz the doskey works if I bring up "cmd" but not if I bring up "command". Never knew there was a difference.

Sorry, just answered my own question, there /is/ a difference between the two, just never knew there was.

never knew there was a difference either..
    One of the F keys (F7) I belive actually gives you a neat menu of some past commands in the dos prompt (i don't know if it will do all, but some anyways...)
    hope that this helps
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

Under WinNT, COMMAND.EXE is basically a DOS "emulator" while CMD.EXE is the WinNT command line interpreter.

They work pretty much the same, but they process commands differently with the kernel.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Mucho-thankso for the information, guys. "Live, learn or die" that's always been my motto. Well, except for when it was "Who put the egg salad in my soda?"

[quote]Originally posted by Percy:
    <strong>Mucho-thankso for the information, guys. "Live, learn or die" that's always been my motto. Well, except for when it was "Who put the egg salad in my soda?"</strong><hr></blockquote>

WTH