W2k drag/drop, Copy/paste

Thread: W2k drag/drop, Copy/paste

Post W2k drag/drop, Copy/paste

In Windows 2k pro, after I have moved a folder to a different location, when I go to the old folder area to delete it I always get the ERROR Can not delete folder; shareing violation; folder may be in use. So I have to reboot the system to be able to delete the folder.

Is this common with w2kpro, or is there a setting that I have messed up somewhere that would stop this error and alowe me to delete the folders after I have moved them to a different location.
    Computers are like life, constantly changing, and without change we would become STAGNET

Talking

soundlike the file thinks it is still in use after the move, what yo ucould do is just copy a small text file and then try and delete the file in question and see if this fixes the problem.
    Almighty Elbatcho Della Vente, Scurge von AOL, Tyrant von NT, Huhn des Schulegeländes, großartiger hinterer Viceroy Admiral der oberen nordöstlichen südlichen Zustand Widder K-Auto Kategorie des bedwetting Auslesesuperschutzes der Eastwestern Grafschaften, des Spam deathlord des Spam'o'knights, des Spacemonkey und des stolzen Inhabers von 250 mindestens meine kleinen Ponies

Lightbulb

I've seen this happen numerous times. I just hit [F5] to refresh the parent folder...the "ghost" of the one that I just moved then disappears as W2K updates the directory tree info...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

Thanks Spaceman, I'll give that a try!
    Computers are like life, constantly changing, and without change we would become STAGNET

NO GO Spaceman, I'm still haveing the proplem, I hope someone can please give me a salution to this its driveing me crazy ! LOL

What youre getting is a sharing violation, that means that there is SOMETHING accessing said folder. It may be a service or application. I would look into what programs you have open and see if that helps.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Maybe a daft question, but when you hit F5 (Refresh), did you make sure the window you wanted to refresh was the active window?

Good luck

To Lowland YES!

To Matridom: I have tryed shutting down everything that W2k would let me, then with that did a F5 in every folder, still to no avail. still had to reboot system to get it to allow me to delete the file. As long as I don't do any copying or pasteing, moveing of a folder, I can delete the file.

I use Thumbs plus also but get the same results!

Thanks you guys for trying!

hey red have you tried copying another file afterwards then deleting the first one?
    Almighty Elbatcho Della Vente, Scurge von AOL, Tyrant von NT, Huhn des Schulegeländes, großartiger hinterer Viceroy Admiral der oberen nordöstlichen südlichen Zustand Widder K-Auto Kategorie des bedwetting Auslesesuperschutzes der Eastwestern Grafschaften, des Spam deathlord des Spam'o'knights, des Spacemonkey und des stolzen Inhabers von 250 mindestens meine kleinen Ponies

Yep sure have

Ok, is this a stand alone machine or on network?

Have you tried to Cut and Paste your folder rather than Copy Paste Delete?

Have you got your machine logging (auditing) these events so you can check out the event log?

Does the same thing happen when you copy and paste data in applications?

This has got to be sortable!

Good luck

Copying within a single partition or to another Partition (or physical disk).
    RAID?
    Indexing services?
    Av Software.

I throw out all I can.

Good Luck
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

I gotta’ ask, is it possible this folder you are trying to delete is a system folder, perhaps My Documents, that was renamed? I did the very thing, and forgot that the change had been made. I didn't realize it until I went into the “shell folders” in HKCU. What is the name of the folder now. You could run a find in the registry for the specific name of the folder, and perhaps turn up what may be using this file.

Another thing, if it is the current user that has access to the folder, perhaps logging on as a different user will allow you to delete it. Try the local admin to be sure.

Ok yes this is on a network, it would be considered the main computer of the network, altho nothing on this machine is share'd, no one else on the network can access this machine.

I'm always logged in as the administrator.

All the files in concern are files that I have created for the pourpose of storeing pictures and programs,

I'm not sure about the event logging, where would I find out about that?

I will try the cut and paste. See what happens there.

This is all being done on a single 40 gig HD

Thank You All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok yes this is on a network, it would be considered the main computer of the network, altho nothing on this machine is share'd, no one else on the network can access this machine.
    I'm always logged in as the administrator.
    The main computer, but not shared? Is it a Domain Controller? Or a peer-to-peer network? If a domain, there will be hidden shares (Like Printer$) which are difficult to delete. Can you confirm your network configuration please

All the files in concern are files that I have created for the pourpose of storeing pictures and programs,

You originally said "folders" - can you clarify if folders or files?

I'm not sure about the event logging, where would I find out about that?
    Look in ControlPanel>AdministrativeTools. You'll find event viewer. Look under System and Application Logs and see if any error messages are being generated. To enable auditing, go MyComputer>c>Properties>Security>Advanced>Auditing and set who you want and what you want audited, then ControlPanel>LocalSecurityPolicy>AuditPolicy and set what you want (If on domain with domian security you may not be able to do this)

I will try the cut and paste. See what happens there.
    Good idea

Let us know how you get on

Good luck