Help virtual memory problem (lack off it)

Thread: Help virtual memory problem (lack off it)

Angry Help virtual memory problem (lack off it)

for some stupid reason everytime i boot i have no virtual memory (20mb)
    i go to the control pannel>system>performance options

set the values to something reasonable and then reboot, guess what? still only 20mb, do the same again but this time it doesnt reboot i get some virtual memory
    turn pc off reboot same friggin problem

does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

i think i narrowed the problem down to a dodgy msconfig (tweak3D ) because thats when the problems started.

anyway is a way to reset my virtual memory in the system to give me at least 400mb +

Instead of trying to set values why not let windows configure it. If it works then try to configure it yourself. How much space is there on that hard drive or partion where the swap file is located? If there isn't any space then obviously you will get errors and wont have any virtual memory. Good luck.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

every time it starts windows allocates 20mb!
    the swap file is located over 2 drives there's 2gig spare on one and 10gig on the other so plenty of space. max pagefile is x 2 RAM = 896mb

i need a large pagefile as this machine is used for video editing and audio editing.

i need a way to set the value greater than the 20mb default that keeps fu*king me around.

There must be a way in regedit and sysedit to do this

You might check <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;rid;kbinfo" target="_blank">here</a> and look up Q242447. You might, just for troublshooting, try to create another pagefile on the second hard drive and leave the primary drive alone. If this works try changing the primary drives file to the size you want and if it works remove the secondary file. Good luck.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

found the problem, i formatted the hd and did a fresh install (hence the other user name) installed every driver and update in order and when it came to the modem after restarting that if started with the vitual memory problems

so now i am complaining to elsa for some that dont cause this problem

Lightbulb

W2K not remembering the virtual memory setting is usually caused by the user deleting "SYSTEM" as a "user" from the system drive security (usually your C-drive). Double-click My Computer, right-click on the system drive (where W2K is installed), then click the Security tab. If "SYSTEM" isn't present, add it back and give it "full" access...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

that worked but i had to use everyone, now the modem dies on a regular basis but thats a friggin via chipset problem