[RESOLVED] Legacy application Compatibility

Thread: [RESOLVED] Legacy application Compatibility

skywalker93

Resolved [RESOLVED] Legacy application Compatibility

I work for a large corporation and we use Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 95/98 for our O/S. Just wondering what some of your opinions were on the compatibility with Windows 2000 and older legacy apps, say either a DOS-based or 16-bit app. Just need some input. We're interested in making the transition to 2000, but not at the expense of the apps not working anymore.

StevePorter

Thumbs down

Some old DOS applications work and some don't. Same with 16-bit applications...some work and some don't. I've had trouble with a couple 16-bit applications that periodically lock up which, under either WinNT or W2K, isn't a problem...you just dump 'em with Task Manager.

You'd find it really advantageous to set up a "test bed" computer to check out your legacy applications. I wouldn't jump until then. Furthermore, you'd better check you computer's components for W2K compatibility. When I moved up from WinNT4 SP5 to W2K awhile back, I had to dump my internal modem (replaced with an external) and NIC; W2K absolutely refused to operate them correctly.

------------------
    You want the right answer?!? You must be asleep, because you're dreaming...

A test computer is the way to go. Also I have found it usefull to find a fairly advanced user and use them as a test user, once you are fairly confident that the apps will work on win2k.

This user should be willing to be the lab rat so to speak. That way you dont have to test it on "Martha's" computer, who barly knows how to log in every day.