MB-Soltek, 54U5/U1
    Memory-PC133,256meg, 512 total
    40 gig HD, 7200, WD
    Video-ATI 3D Rage Pro, Expert 98
    S/B Live sound card
    Kingston Newtwork card, 10/100

CPU was K6-2 3D Now, 350 mhz.
    New CPU, K6-2 550 mhz

I made sure that the jumper settings were correct!
    And rechecked!

First boot up, was still showing the 350, went to the BIOS, and did a save.
    Next Boot up, showed the K6-2 550 CPU, then to the next screen, then to the windows startup or trouble shoot screen, then I got this error message.

***Stop 0x0000001E (0XC0000005, 0x804D73C7, 0x00000001, 0x75FF0D59) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

***Address 804D73C7 base at 80400000, Date Stamp 3bdf4c53 - ntsokrnl.exe

Check to make sure you have adiquate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with manufacture for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

And a few other instructions.

when I tryed to reboot again, the system just halted at the window startup trouble shooting screen. when I try to F8 still nothing.

Anyone know what this error message is about for the ntoskrnl.exe

Is it meaning that this exe file is corrupt?
    Computers are like life, constantly changing, and without change we would become STAGNET

Uhm there could be many things.. First thing that pops to mine is SP3... According to MS, it's not officialy released yet. That means beta code - stick with SP2. Secondly, remove all unnecessairy hardware, No audio, no nics, etc.

See if that helps.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I was just able to boot into safe mode. I have W2k SP2 on cd should I uninstall the SP3 then install the sp2 back?
    Computers are like life, constantly changing, and without change we would become STAGNET

Unless you made the backup files when installing the service pack you won't be able to uninstall it. If you've not installed any software i'd just reinstall and not gamble on MS uninstall process. I've learned a long time ago that MS beta = Problems.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Just to let you know the uninstall of sp3 went fine. LOL

Also I have gone ahead and removed the 550 CPU and gone back to the 350. I have another machine with the same board will try thr 550 in it. Its running win98 instead of 2k.

I would and DO appriseate anymore and all the imformation that has been provided. Thanks

There is one other thing that might have been the problem and would like to get some opinions about it.

Reading thruogh the manual for the MB it says that if you are running at a 100 mhz (which the 550 does) then you need to make sure that the RAM is PC-100.

I'm running PC-133 would that have maybe caused the problem?

I don't currently have any PC-100 to try out, but would like to get some more info on this.

Thanks

[quote]Originally posted by RedBeard:
    <strong>There is one other thing that might have been the problem and would like to get some opinions about it.

Reading thruogh the manual for the MB it says that if you are running at a 100 mhz (which the 550 does) then you need to make sure that the RAM is PC-100.

I'm running PC-133 would that have maybe caused the problem?

I don't currently have any PC-100 to try out, but would like to get some more info on this.

Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

Normally that wouldn't cause a problem. PC133 RAM is rated to be able to run stabily at bus speeds up to 133 MHz. Running at lower speeds is OK (kind of a waste though).

Thats what I was thinking also But you never know for certian. And I agree that it is kinda a waste, but when 133 is cheaper then 100, it just means I'm also ready for an upgrade on the mother board. LOL

Thanks for your imput

I just put the CPU in another computer, with the same MB but win98 OS and 128 meg PC-100 memory and the system booted up fine.

I guess the only real way to know is aquire some more PC-100 for this other computer.

Lightbulb

Could also possibly have been a cooling issue on the original board. If it alwys stoped in the same place, disregard this msg. I have seen overheating cause evrything from vfat errors to memory problems.

Anyway, its just a thought.
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

Another thing you may want to try is to knock the buss speed down to 66, I know the 550 are sometimes a little flacky(nothing like Cyrix though).

If all else fails, go back to basics. Remove everything from the case and remount only necessairy components, install os then add the other cards.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Hey GameGuru, I think you might have hit the nail on the head, It just blew out the power supply in the unit that I finally got it to work in. LOL It just went up in smoke and flames. I guess I need one bigger than 200w. LOL

Thanks!