Windows XP preview - anyone participating?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP preview - anyone participating?

Post Windows XP preview - anyone participating?

Mods - I am not sure if this belongs here but we don't have a Windows XP forum yet. Please feel free to move if necessary.

I just wanted to know if anyone was going to be participating in the Windows XP beta preview. It looks like a pretty good deal, but I have never tried anything like this before and I wanted to get some opinions. I'm not a system builder and I don't have access to an MSDN account or anything. I avoid warez sites like the plague and I thought this would be an opportunity to preview the next wave O/S. Good or not good?
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

Oops, I forgot the link. If you are not sure what I am talking about check it out here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/preview/overview.asp
    L

I installed MS Office XP.. VERY NICE

But it's doing something in the background that is making my hard drive search like a mad man.. and it's not MS Find Fast because that component is not installed and no other software is running in the background..
    Started happening right after I installed it.
    The Data Circuit has Melted.

Nope not me. I did the Windows 2000 Corporate preview right like 6 months beore it shipped and it was pretty sweet,It was fairly cheap (like 29 bucks) and you got Windows 2000 pro and Windows 2000 server and when the subsequent betas came out they sent them to you.

Unless someone can convince me of good reasons to upgrade I think I will stick to Windows 2000 I mean it has only been out over a year.

Originally posted by xsrvx:
    Nope not me. I did the Windows 2000 Corporate preview right like 6 months beore it shipped and it was pretty sweet,It was fairly cheap (like 29 bucks) and you got Windows 2000 pro and Windows 2000 server and when the subsequent betas came out they sent them to you.

Unless someone can convince me of good reasons to upgrade I think I will stick to Windows 2000 I mean it has only been out over a year.
    So I guess the preview concept is legit and I am not going to get screwed with just spam and a bunch of junk mail, right? I can tolerate the spam and junk mail if I am going to get a fully functional preview of the OS and some preferential treatment with future betas and release versions.
    L

I got my copy of XP (whistler) beta 1 from MSDN. I installed it, played with it for a few days, noticed it was bloatware and just said "screw it". Just my $0.02.
    DON'T PANIC

Tried a beta. I'll stick with 2k pro.
    Must not strangle users. Repeat. Must not strangle users.

Originally posted by shadow1:
    Tried a beta. I'll stick with 2k pro.
    Ditto. It ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it. Besides, I tried XP, and there is no "gotta have" feature I can find, and I sure don't like the scheme they dreamed up for licensing.

You gotta admit the interface is slick. But even XP Pro...does it crash more than 2k?

No XP forum, yet. Still a Beta!
    Originally posted by Blehboy:
    Mods - I am not sure if this belongs here but we don't have a Windows XP forum yet. Please feel free to move if necessary.

mptyza

The only thing I really like about XP is the GUI, but I probably will not upgrade to it. I'll stick with Win2k when I get it.

Darren Wilson

XP is to 2K what Me is to 98.

Simple.

A waste of time. No doubt a lot of users will migrate to it and then the workloads will pick up again. Thats about the best bit of it.

Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    XP is to 2K what Me is to 98.

Simple.

A waste of time. No doubt a lot of users will migrate to it and then the workloads will pick up again. Thats about the best bit of it.
    I disagree, XP is what 2K is to 98. And according to Microsoft users who are currently using 2K will reap no benefits from upgrading, they suggest you continue to use 2K.
    on the other hand users currently using 9X or ME would benefit from the upgrade as it runs on the NT kernel and should be more stable.
    We'll see when it comes out.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

CobraTekMax

I signed up for it. I decided not to participate in the XP beta program, and I hate to break my streak of playing with MS operating system before their official release, just so I can see what changers are made to the final product. 10 bucks to download it through DSL. Yeah, why the hell not?

I'll probably wipe my secondary system (PII 450, 128MB RAM) and fire it up on there, just to see what it's like. From what I've read though, it's HIGHLY unlikely that I'll be buying the final release.

Configuration is nice. More 98 features are blended into it. e.g. msconfig, etc. I like it, but not the online registration BS. I have'nt tried any games with it yet, like UT, Q3A, etc. But I'll post my opinions when I do.
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!