W2K Pro new setup - minor issues.

Thread: W2K Pro new setup - minor issues.

Post W2K Pro new setup - minor issues.

Hi all. I just built my first dual boot system with W98/W2K Pro. System specs are:

1.0Ghz Athlon
    Asus A7V133 Mainboard
    30GB Maxtor HD
    512 SDRAM PC133
    ATI Expert 2000 Pro (Rage 128)
    SB Live Value
    Creative Modem Blaster DSI5655
    D-Link NIC
    Plextor 12/10/32 CDRW
    Sony DVD with Sigma RealMagic Hollywood Plus decoder card (supplied by customer)

The Win98 side is fine except for decoder card - RealMagic site was down today and couldn't get the drivers.

On the W2K side I have a couple of small problems.
    1 - When W2K is loading services I get a "Warning" message " Failed to open registry handle in AtiPoll". The message sits there for 5 seconds and then disappears. So far I can't see that it actually affects anything but I would like to get rid of it. I can find no references at either Microsoft or ATI (if indeed it has anything to do with the ATI video card.

2 - The Creative modem blaster has W2k drivers which install but where is the DSI Modem manager that it uses in Win98? How do I install it? As it is a Winmodem will it even work with W2K?

Forgive me for looking for easy answers here but the customer was anxiuos to get his system home for the long weekend and I haven't had the chance to go through all the docs and readmes which he took with him. I have assured him I will have answers for him next week. (Note - remind myself to charge extra for setting up dual OS'es on new systems)

PS - On the W2K side I haven't installed the Via 4in1 drivers yet - should I? Nor have I installed SP1 - should I too?

Thanks and have a Happy Easter!
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

Arrow

Why Dual Boot with Win 2000, Anyway be sure that you have the latest drivers for Win 2K and Win 98, Also download the HDC Compatablity Test from Microsoft and run the HArdware/Software Diagnostic on the machine. Your hardware may not meet Win 2K standards, Viedo, Modem are the most common problems, Check the knowledge base at Microsoft about SP1 and dual systems. I would set the System up as Win 2K only and load NTFS file system.
    Be sure to create a user account for your client as a power user on the system.
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

He is probably dual booting for the same reason I am, for the games! If Win2K could do games as well as Win98 there would be no need for dual booting.

Actually i find that win2k tends to run my games a bit better than win98se. I just dual boot for comptability with a few things.

Thanks all. Got it all worked out.

Reminder to self - charge extra for dual boot systems!!!
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.