System:
    AXPro 59 Mobo w/ K6-3 450
    128 PC100
    IDE 1 - Master: 8.4 GB UDMA33 Fujitsu HDD
    IDE 1- Slave: Iomega Zip Drive
    IDE 2 - Master: Asus 40x CD-ROM
    IDE 2 - Slave: HP 7200i Burner

Problem:
    When I try to burn WAV files to digital CD, it seems to stall out at the end of a track. Not always the same track. The green light is flashing on the burner, and the HDD light is steady on, butt nothing is happening. The system is not really locked up. I can still cancel things, but I can't start anything new. I have to hit RESET to get things moving. I tried flipping things around (master/slave), but nothing different. Works fine with data burns. This is the first time I try to burn audio (had burner over 1 year). I also have DMA disabled because of poping sound in audio.

Suggestion: Loose the HP?? I would like too but what is a good reliable replacement?? Mitsumi 4x4x24x ??

Ray
    Later eh!
    RAVE

Try disconnecting any IDE devices that aren't needed for CD burning. After you disconnect your Zip drive and 40x CD-ROM, try burning a CD again and see if that helps.

Also, do you have any software programs running the background?

Just a couple of ideas...

------------------
    Steve Taylor - Service Manager
    Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho USA
    www.altoplanos.net

Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

Hi.

Unless there is something drastically wrong with "your" HP 7200i burner, I doubt that it is in itself the source of the problem. Apart from the grumblings of people who bought them under the misguided impression that the unit could be used for full system backups and various peevish complaints about the now relative slowness of the drive, I have never heard a bad word about them.

Although I have my 7200i on the same IDE cable as my 40x CDROM (same configuration as yours) and although this has caused no problems, I have been advised that this is not the ideal situation. You might try moving one unit to your other ide cable.

Also, are you experiencing the problem consistently with the same brand of CD media? The failure rate for some media brands is unacceptably high. Try a different brand. I have nothing but success with the 7200i and Maxell media - one and only one failure to date.

As Stevet has pointed out, it is not a good idea to run any other applications while burning CD's. If I remember correctly, the manual states this quite clearly about using the unit under W9x. I have always followed this advice.

Good luck.