[RESOLVED] Local area connection

Thread: [RESOLVED] Local area connection

gmbruin

Red face Local area connection

recently replaced the onboard LAN connection on a workstation with a NetGear 10/100 card - did'nt remove the other network connection from the Device manager. I thought that the new settings would override the old. Well, when I rebooted with the new NIC in place, W2K gave me an error message saying that the settings I specified were for another connection, did I want to change these settings. Long story long, I've removed the onboard LAN connection both physicall (via jumpers and disconnection from mobo) as well as in Add / Remove hardware. All the settings for the DNS, and default gateway are exactly the same as it was before, except settings are for the NetGear card, and I still can't map to our network.
    any ideas!?!?!?

Did the same error msg's come back after you disabled the on board one? If not, can you do the std pings, etc to other machines on the network? Can you ping 127.0.0.1 (local loopback) or even ping the ip address of the network card (do an ipconfig at dos prompt)?

Try these and let us know...

First mistake...buying Netgear. Anything made by Bay Networks = BAD.

I am not saying this is your problem, but in dealing with Netgear products I tend to grab a known good 3COM or Intel nic and try it first.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein