[RESOLVED] Win2000 + shutting down = restart (help!)

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win2000 + shutting down = restart (help!)

Win2000 Wiz

Resolved [RESOLVED] Win2000 + shutting down = restart (help!)

I've got a clean install of windows 2000 on a newish pentium II, 96mb box and here's what happens:

ACTION: select 'shutdown' from the startmenu
    RESULT: the computer follows a normal 'restart' sequence, shutting down and then restarting.

Before this was happening, the computer would shutdown, but remain on the 'it is safe to shutdown your computer' screen instead of automatically shutting down.

I remember in windows 98, I could cure the above problem by removing the 'power management' device from the device manager, which would then be properly installed on the next boot and things would return to their normal behaviour (ie. shutdown means shutdown including the box power turning off)

Where could the solution be found for Windows 2000? There is no 'power management' device in the win2k device manger, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Win2000 Wiz

Forgot to mention that this problem happened with a clean install of Win2k, and also with service pack 1 which I just installed without any problems (except the one above!)

Please post any suggestions you can think of, no matter how ridiculous!

Don't overlook the power supply. I've resolved a lot of quirky problems in Win98 and W2K with this simple and quick solution.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Win2000 Wiz

Question

What solution are you speaking of? I see my power supply, its big and its plugged in.

Note that in Win98 the shutdown command actually shuts the machine off, and that everything else seems to work fine power-wise. There is nothing here that points to a hardware problem; is that what you are suggesting?

slider

Angry

I think the problems that you are haveing may be caused by the new. ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface). In Win2000 this is setup to control how your system shuts down goes into standby and what the function of your on off button is. (It is no longer just an on/off switch, Thanks Bill). This does this by directly speaking with the BIOS. Which means if you are running a system with a PII in it there is a good chance that you need a BIOS update from your Manufacturer. Also you may want to check under your power management in the Control Panel and see what the function of your power switch is. I suggest setting it to on/off. It can be a tricky problem to figure out, I have seen it about 5 times now on about 5 Win2000 systems. Makes the future look bright doesn't it!. Good Luck.

------------------
    End users are the Users that need to come to an End!

Sorry 'bout that. Try replacing the power supply. Don't know about your area/suppliers but around here about 1 in every 4 has some problem that creates problems like you describe. When faced with quirky functioning I always flash with the most recent BIOS and replace the power supply.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Wink

Along Slider's path, I think that you could do to check your ACPI settings - some older mobo's (like mine) have a problem with ACPI where it's not checked by default, which means Win2k doesn't invoke by default.

The behaviour of your on/off switch will also determine how is acts. Try and see what that's like (sorry a bit of duplication there!)

Win2000 Wiz

Thx for the replies ppl!

How do I check the function of my power switch from within windows 2000?

Under controlpanel->powermanagement I only have 5 tabs: power schemes (i just leave it to 'always on' while debugging this problem), advanced (just a 'show icon in taskbar' checkbox), hibernate (I don't enable it), APM (which I have tried on and off, off seems better; the system doesn't reboot when i shutdown, it just sits at the 'safe to turn off' screen, which is the problem now), and UPS (which I have none).

So I don't see an option for changing the functionality of the power button. I do see this in the BIOS settings and I have it set to on/off.

Since one of the replies talked about how Windows 2000's power management talks directly to the BIOS (Which makes sense in this case since it is causing different behaviour than in win98), what should my BIOS settings be to avoid that 'safe to turn off the computer' screen?