Win2k

Thread: Win2k

Question Win2k

i am trying to upgrade ( I know,I should do a clean install but customer has too much software he would need to re-install) a pc from win98 to win2k but I can't get past the system compatability report. I get a error " WINNT32 has caused an invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll" . I know it's not a hardware issue because I did a clean install of win2k on this system with a spare hard drive and it worked fine. Is there a way to install win2k and bypass the compatability report ?
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

Talking

You will still need to reinstall most of his software anyway. So just format and reinstall
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Cabal:
    i am trying to upgrade ( I know,I should do a clean install but customer has too much software he would need to re-install) a pc from win98 to win2k but I can't get past the system compatability report. I get a error " WINNT32 has caused an invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll" . I know it's not a hardware issue because I did a clean install of win2k on this system with a spare hard drive and it worked fine. Is there a way to install win2k and bypass the compatability report ?
    hmm...try running the Win98 System File Checker, maybe it's just a bad kernel32.dll file. Or, do a full 98 repair.

Best idea really is to just make a clean install, or just format and reinstall.

Run the setup from a dos prompt. From the dos promt go to the i386 dir and run winnt32.
    I am almost positive that there is an upgrade option in there. Sorry, dont have have a win98 machine setup right now to check.

first try this

run

winnt32 /checkupgradeonly

(yes it's a long switch..)

it might tell you what is your problem..

Question

I ran the upgrade check only and it gives me the same error message, but it doesn't tell me more than an invalid page fault in kernel32.dll . I ran sfc and replaced the kernel32 but I get the same result. I can't see where this compatabilty program makes an error log, it gets about 95% through when I get the error message. It says it is processing files, whatever that means. I may have to just wipe his system clean and save his data to format clean.

lph1952

If you haven't already, check Microsofts kb article Q252725 and q217210 for kernel32 page fault errors. Hope it helps.

Sounds like the current system is corrupt, has he been having a lot of other error messages?

Cool

I figured it out. Quickbooks pro 2000 was the culprit. I encountered the exact same error message on a different pc from the same office I was trying to upgrade to 2000. When I uninstalled it win2k went on perfectly.

corelogik

Trying to install Win2k upgrade. From explorer or DOS prompt,. system hangs either way and I end up having to reboot. Anyone know what the size of the Win2k CD should be, ie; my Win98 CD says its 638 MB, my Win2k CD says its 360MB. Its a full edition (or supposed to be)OEM Disc, did I just get a bad one? Also tried to make a copy for back up and was told that a file could not be copied, tried dragging to HD for a Disc image burn and was told the same thing. Did MS put copy protection on the Win2k CD's? I hate to think i paid $150 for a CD that isnt going to work.

Any help would be appreciated, thanx!

OEM W2K -- 361Mb
    OEM W2Ksp1 -- 377Mb
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

corelogik

Well,. that explains it then,. I got a bad CD. Im 1 MB short.Im not looking forward to the hassle of trying to get a refund or exchange from my vendor. Thanx for the help guys!

I've never had any luck upgrading from Win9x to Win2K. Anyway, you should do a clean install because you should repartition using NTFS partitions for Win2K.
    Hello World

Hey Crue, try upgrading ME to win2k
    now theres a fun day out

haha
    Insert Signature Here...

------------------------------