SP2 CRASH!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SP2 CRASH!

Angry SP2 CRASH!

It happened to me today. After I installed Win2000 SP2 my pc failed to boot, got the BSOD (blue sceen of death) Now I'm screwed, can't get into my system.......

HELP?

Darren Wilson

Can you get into Safe Mode (or I believe it is called VGA mode)? If so, uninstall SP2 from there.

It is brought up the same way as Win9x is.

When you get the Black Screen with the Bar acroos the bottom it tells you which key to press.

I've tried the whole safe mode thing. Everything I try only results in a blue screen with something about K Mode...

well, all I can offer is that the kmode thing you are seeing is a type of physical memory dump. We see those all the time at work.

Did the service pack get to apply all the way? Or was power disconnected part of the way through it?

The only peice of ADVICE I can give you with this little information is that you keep trying to boot, no matter how frustrating. The BSOD's may continue seemingly un-interrupted for quite some time. Hopefully, you'll get through one time.

I haven't had any problems with SP2 and our machines at work are doing well with SP@ as well. I hate to say this over the net as I have not seen your machine, but if this happened first thing after applying the Pack and you can safely say that no other changes could be affecting your system this way, you may have to re-install W2K. Try throwing the CD in the tray and choosing "Repair W2K installation" rather than dumping completely and re-loading first. This may fix whatever is "dorked" up.
    if(post.eof()){SigBox.setText("Have A Day.");}

mogul218

Yes, you should definitely boot up in the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /f c: d: etc. Run chkdsk on ALL of your partitions. Good luck.

Unhappy

Recovery Consule was no help. Here's the exact maessage.
    "STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xEB4908D3, 0X00000000, 0x0000000C)
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED base at EB490000, DATESTAMP 389b9d4a - L8042pr2.sys"

By the way, I don't mind redoing my whole system but there are crucial data files I need to recover. Can't access them anywhere, can't even get to a does prompt in safe mode. Any suggestions on the data recovery?

Joe

Yes!!! You can goto www.sysinternals.com (I guess I post that URL a lot) and download NTFSDos Pro (There is a free version) Put a Fat32 drive in there somehow, and boot to a win98 startup disk. Then run NTFSDos. The free version only allows Read Only. (If you buy it, its read/write). Copy the files you need to the Fat volume, then you are good to go.

OK while typing this Post, I remembered, you can also just boot from your Win2k CD (You DO have the original, right, RIGHT?), and choose the "Repair" option, which recopies the original system files, restoring the files to their original config. Remember to reapply SP1 after that...
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

I had this problem.

I installed SP2 and the system refused to do anything. I reinstalled 5 times and everytime I installed SP2 it crashed. I was fixing another computer at the time and installed the HDD in it and installed Win2K plus SP2 and it worked !!! Its was the orginal HDD, its ATA100 but my controller is only ATA66, SP2 enables support for ATA100 but it caused a problem on my machine!!

I obtained a utility to set the HDD at mode 4 and is has worked fine since.

It probably isn`t what is causing your problem but hey its a cause ruled out!!! :-)

On the subject of Data recovery, boot from the CD-ROM drive and use the tools from it, try Rescue mode first, then if it don`t work use the ERD mode.

Originally posted by Texas Joe:
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED base at EB490000, DATESTAMP 389b9d4a - L8042pr2.sys"

By the way, I don't mind redoing my whole system but there are crucial data files I need to recover. Can't access them anywhere, can't even get to a does prompt in safe mode. Any suggestions on the data recovery?

Joe
    The error is in your Logitech mouse driver "L8042pr2.sys" the one on my system is a 46KB file dated 1/18/2001. See if you can get into the recovery console and delete that file from c:\winnt\system32\drivers and get past the error trying to initialize it.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Question

I would Loooovvveeee to try some of these fixes, problem is, no matter how I boot my pc I am unable to even get to the recovery console. Just the error message. I can boot into my win98 partition though….

Your Recovery Console is not part of your Operating System. Boot from the CD, and then select Recovery Colsole from the screen. It loads from the CD, not the Hard Drive. Though it will ask you for the Admin Password.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

Originally posted by Texas Joe:

Joe
    correct me if I'm wrong ..

but if I remeber things this is the PS/2 keyboard and mouse driver...

if you're using any USB keyboard/mouse try to use a regualr keyboard/mouse or vice versa..

this doesn't mean the file is corrupted..
    it means it can't load...

I would suggest trying to boot in the "last known good config"

als o if you're usibng ACPI you might consider disabling it..

hope it helps

Thumbs up

Got it!!! Unplugged the mouse and than I was able to boot to the recovery panel. Thanks everyone.

Joe

That's why we're here..

you're welcome.

btw, now that you can get access I think you need to replace the USB mouse driver.
    check for the latest driver version..