One More Answer, Please
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One More Answer, Please

Post One More Answer, Please

I don't want to "wear out my welcome" but...

I just installed W2K Professional on computer FARRAR. I have 2 other computers running Windows 98, DELL1 and DELL2. While W2K is up on FARRAR and the other two computers are up and running Windows 98, I am unable to access FARRAR through Network Neighborhod. I am told that I do not have the appropriate rights to access the resource. I have shared all 6 partitions on FARRAR but I am having a brain cramp on the reason for this. I SEE FARRAR in Network Neighborhod but can not access the drives.

I also get this message when trying to access my shared, network printer connected to FARRAR with the letters "IPC$" in the window which asks me to supply a password.

I had this set up once before but completed ditched the network and formatted everything for practice {which it appears I need}.

Thanks one more time. I've learned more here than I did in that $ 9,000 6-month class I took for MCSE NT 4.0

Thanks,

Jeff
    “If nothing changes, Nothing changes!”

Have you set up user accounts for Dell1 & Dell2 on your W2K box? Activated the built-in Guest account? (default is disabled)
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Thank You. I'll do that.

Jeff

this is something i spent hours and hours trying to solve for a client. I even posted here, (when i was a young poster/member) and got no real answer.

in the end i solved it myself but it took many hours.

the w2k can see and access the 2 98 pcs, correct?

but it doesn't do it 98 to w2k - asks you for a password.

in my case the answer was i had to login the 98 machines into the account on w2k; in my case an admin account....

there is also a problem with time outs in the fact that if working on a 98 pc and you leave for a while, when you come back it will repeat the password prompt IPC$, or crash the 98 pc..... aparently this can be sorted with a policy, but as i'm not really a NT nut i didn't do this

IMHO
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

Wink

Thanks for the detailed answer and the much needed help. I had other issues as well so I formatted the partition and reinstalled but I have yet to even boot up the other computers on my network.

Thanks again for the help and I will try your suggestions as soon as I get to that stage.

Thanks,
    Jeff

If your are logged on as Administrator on the Win2K box, the system automatically shares out your drives but keeps them hidden (therefore you can`t see them in Network Neighbourhood). To access them on the win98 box type \\FARRAR\c$ it should ask you for a username and password. Type in the user on the Win2K box you want to use ie administrator and the password you use with it.

Originally posted by NeoNexus:
    If your are logged on as Administrator on the Win2K box, the system automatically shares out your drives but keeps them hidden (therefore you can`t see them in Network Neighbourhood). To access them on the win98 box type \\FARRAR\c$ it should ask you for a username and password. Type in the user on the Win2K box you want to use ie administrator and the password you use with it.
    what does / is FARRAR????
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

Originally posted by Mr Myagi:
    what does / is FARRAR????
    Reread the original post.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Originally posted by Sowulo:
    [B]Have you set up user accounts for Dell1 & Dell2 on your W2K box? B]
    HA!! the tables have turned!!

Now I get to be the one to say:
    Yes! the answer is in login/password on the Win2K box for the Win98 boxes!

Sowulo is quite right, adding an account on the FARRAR for DELL1/2 will solve your problem.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

I enabled the Guest account which allowed me to print. As the Dell is printing, you can see "guest" as the author/originator of the print job in printer properties on the Dell.

But, I guess the correct way would be to add an account for Dell1 and Dell2 which are the logon IDs for my two Dells.

Thanks for the help,

Jeff

Actually there are 2 ways to solve the issue. Peer 2 Peer networking on Win2k REQUIRES authentication. There are 2 ways to satisfy this need:

1) Enable the Guest accout. The user is authenticated under the guest's credentials, so unless your shares allow the "Everyone" or the "Guest" accounts to access them (Both NTFS and Share Permissions) then they will still be inaccessible.

2) Log into the Win9x boxes with a valid account on the Win2k box. The Win9x box by default sends the credentials that have been supplied to it to make the initial connection. If these fail, then it will use the guest account if available.

So to sum up, if you have different people who you would like to limit access in different ways on the win2k box, you can create accounts for them and then restrict access based on those accounts. However it is easier to just enable the guest account to allow everyone to screw with your stuff.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

Thanks ShadowKing!

Thanks to all for the help. If I had only one site on the Net I could go to it would most DEFINITELY be WinDrivers.com.

Thanks Again. The help IS greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Originally posted by farrar:

If I had only one site on the Net I could go to it would most DEFINITELY be WinDrivers.com.
    You mean there are OTHER tech forum sites out there?
    Insert Signature Here...

------------------------------

Glad to see this. That's why Windrivers.com is the #1 Resource for Windows Support/Drivers.
    Thanks ShadowKing!

Thanks to all for the help. If I had only one site on the Net I could go to it would most DEFINITELY be WinDrivers.com.

Jeff

Glad to see this. That's why Windrivers.com is the #1 Resource for Windows Support/Drivers.
    Thanks ShadowKing!

Jeff