[RESOLVED] Server is going down!!!!

Thread: [RESOLVED] Server is going down!!!!

Kakaroto

Question Server is going down!!!!

I used to have this Novell 4.11 Server well worth. Then came Oracle and now time to time the DBA have to fix the databases. They don´t know and neither I.
    The "Oracle has detected a critical error. This process will be terminated" message appears when they (software people) are trying to make a backup from a station.

The other day when I came to work the:
    "WARNING! Server *** has experienced a critical error. It is going down in 2 minutes. Save your files and logout."
    message was in all the stations.

I´m thinking that re-installing the server is my way out; but I would like to hear some advices.

------------------
    If things can go wrong...they WILL go wrong!!

MacGyver

Have you applied the latest service pack for Novell 4.11? I think the latest is SP8. Also search Novell's Knowledgebase for any possible solutions.

Reinstalling Netware from scratch is a horrible thing to do and should be avoided if at all possible. And if reinstalling doesn't help, you are back where you started!

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS

Kakaroto

Lightbulb

OK

I´m gonna try the SP8.
    Thanks

------------------

MacGyver

I just thought of something else: make sure your workstations are using the right Novell Client version. I know you should only use Client32 v3.1 or lower with 4.11, unless you have SP6 installed. Otherwise your server will crash hourly!

If you have the latest service packs installed then go for the latest client

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS

install all service packs form novell, search for that error on the novell and oracle website. How are they backing up the database? Using an export and oracle agent, some internal oracle backup, etc. Please make sure that you are using the latest software updates as well as the correct version of the client. You do not want to reinstall NW4.11 - you will ahve to recreate all the shares, directory structure, if it is the only server in the tree - say hello to a refresher course in Directory services and many long hours of recreating that login script(s).

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

El Oso

Had a similar problem with the BorderManager server. It rebooted/abend continuoulsy. Try a local DSRepair, then global. There's an option in DSRepair under Advance options to repair local DS database. Select it then you need to answer a few questions. I use NO, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, No, No. For my responses. Run until no errors. Then run the regular unattended DSRepair. The problem is when it was trying to authenticate the DS Database was corrupted so it could not do an internal athentication and would abend. If your back up software is trying to authenticate and can't it may cause the abend.

El Oso

Sorry I forgot, Service Pack 9 is the latest, as well as Client 3.2 Been using SP 9 for about a month with no problems.

If you are getting errors in your database and you also get that error, which by the way is often caused by a controller failure, try diagnosing/replacing your controller (assuming you are using a SCSI controller). I've seen this on a server, and when we replaced the RAID adapter all the problems and 2minute abends went away. Check out the Novell KB as well, this is where I got the information.

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

Kakaroto

Wink

Thanks everybody!!
    I´m gonna try all the advices.OK

It´s gonna be a little difficult to get the SP8 or SP9 here in Costa Rica, but I´ll find a Cable connection somewhere.

Thanks

------------------