OK, I F***ED UP, plugged a (floppy drive) power cord directly into MB
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OK, I F***ED UP, plugged a (floppy drive) power cord directly into MB

Angry OK, I F***ED UP, plugged a (floppy drive) power cord directly into MB

Thought it went there, but it didn't! I have since replaced the MB, but still get nothing when I boot the system up. No monitor, no nothing. Did I fry the video card?, CPU or? It's only a 200MMX system, but it's worked fine until I mad this fatal mistake.

Need more info. Do you have fans? If so, unplug all your drives from the board side, leave your memory, processor, video and power supply intact. Try it again. If your machine doesn't post, you've narrowed it down to those components. If it posts, plug in your drives one at a time, HDD first, floppy last. That will id a bad drive or cable. Are getting any beep codes on power up? If your video's fried, you may get a series of beeps (probably 8). Try that, and post w/ results.
    If I had a hammer...

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

Ha Ha (sorry had to be said).

Test as many of the bits as you can in another system, you've seen Alien 3 - something might have survived
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Yes I have fans, case fan, processor fan. These both power up when the unit is turned.
    Power light comes on, HD spins, but that's where it ends. No FDD movement. I will try your sugguestions, I'll let you know. This is exactly how it behaved after I made the fatal mistake, so by replacing the MB I've made NO PROGRESS.

thanks for you help.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

I would try the parts one by one in another system to see if they work.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Sounds like your drives are ok. Have you tried a different stick of memory? I would lean towards that or your video card at this point. Obviuosly it's not your mobo, since that's been replaced. Make sure if you have any jumpers that they're set for the correct speed of your CPU. No need in tweaking it until you get things right. Something else, I've plugged in kb and mouse in backwards a few times and gotten similar results. But it sounds like you've unhooked things enough times, you would have caught that. I'd try a different video card and maybe memory at this point. Hope you have some spares you can plug in.
    If I had a hammer...

try disconnecting that floppy drive if you haven't already replaced it. It may have suffered damage internally
    Would you like fries with that?

sorry disregard that ....misread the thread
    Would you like fries with that?

Open the PS and change the small fuse 80% of the time its only the fuse
    YOU can't HANDLE the TRUTH!!!

I've tried different memory, different video card, different HD still to no avail...... I'm still getting power from the PS, but could it be that I'm not getting enough? The HD spins and the power light comes on but that's about all. No input to the monitor or floppy. I've tried almost every combination of things plugged in and things not plugged in.

Thanks again.

Will try another power supply?

if your getting nothing its probly dead cpu
    usually if the cpu functions youll atleast get a beep code to indicate no video, or no ram or something similar.

Are there any beepcodes?

Does the system do anything other then power up. Like power off again or access the harddrive? do the keyboard lights come on? Numlock? Can it be toggled?
    There are no stupid questions! Just stupid (l)users!

Not getting anything. Even tried a CPU from a functioning PC and still the same response.

Thanks

Hmm... Are You sure,what Your new motherboard itself is good?

Did You check jumper is not set in clear CMOS position? I've seen this many times, especially with PCChips motherboards.
    Did You check all components in another systems?

Yeah,also I would check power supply all voltages using voltmeter. Or try another power supply to be sure...

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

Originally posted by Ruslan:
    Yeah,also I would check power supply all voltages using voltmeter. Or try another power supply to be sure...
    Seems fair, there's a distant chance you could just have burned out some of the secondary windings. More realistically, that mobo is dead
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up